Sender:
From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 15:20:31 -0700
Comments:
the basic NCAA eligibility requirements are.  Some schools have
requirements that are more stringent.

a) enrolled full time (generally 12+ hours per semester)
b) making satisfactory progress (passing 24+ hours per year and
   maintaining a gpa of over 1.6 after first year of competition, 1.8
   after two years, and 2.0 after 3 years of competition)
c) in good academic standing (some schools define this as being
   eligible to register, otheres define it as not being on academic
   probation)

cdash

> Date:         Sun, 5 Jan 2003 22:33:32 -0500
> From: Brian Wilantowicz <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: Coach Lucia
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
> What exactly are the academic standards for college hockey
> players/student athletes?  Keep in mind there are standards at the high
> school level as well and if you don't meet those standards you also are
> not eligible to play.  Not to mention there are standards for the the
> tens (?) or hundreds (?) of thousands of other scolarship
> recipients...not just student athletes.  Welch was given an opportunity.
> Unfortunately, he was unable to capitalize on it.  I'm sure there are
> many others who would have loved to have the chance that he had.  And
> this is not to say Welch won't be successful in college or in hocky in
> the future.

charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]               http://cs.uccs.edu/~cdash
(719) 262-3492                  (fax) 262-3369