Sender:
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 1999 19:52:40 -0500
From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
To: Larry Weintraub <[log in to unmask]>
At 03:14 PM 2-20-1999 -0500, Larry Weintraub wrote:
>At 1:20 PM -0500 2/20/99, Mark J. Hill wrote:
>>During Cornell's 4-1 win on Friday night there were only three penalties
>>called, all on Brown.  I think the topic of penalty free games has been
>>brought up before, but I can't remember how often this happens.  Are there
>>many other games in which a team has escaped without any penalties?
>Considering that Cornell has already been in one game with 200+ penalty
>minutes (Union) and another with close to that (Princeton), one has to
>wonder whether this game should be considered either
>
>1)  A rectifying of statistical anomalies so that Cornell, like any other
>team averages a normal amount of penalties per game (an averaging ut so to
>speak)
>
>2)  A clearly poorly refereed game since obviously Cornell doesn't play
>penalty free or even limited penalty hockey.
>
>or
>
>3)  A display of the clearly inconsistent style of the ECAC referees.
>
>I'm inclined towards (3).  Just thought I'd comment.

Since we (UVM at Rensselaer) had one of the more inconsistent referees,
Drew Taylor, I decided to check this one.  According to the box on ECAC
HockeyNet <http://hockey.ecac.com/boxes/mbrncor1.f19>, Referee: John
Murphy, Assistant Referee: Mike Emanatian and Assistant Referee: Jeff
Fulton.  Murphy has his off nights, but in general isn't all that bad, and
Emanation usually calls a good game.

Any Brown fans who saw the game got any comments?

And speaking of linesmen, we had at least two called by the clean-sleeve
guys.  Is this stripe envy?  I saw at least one of the penalties, and it
wasn't, to my eye at least, bad enough to call a penalty on.  (Just so you
know, it was called on the other team.)

Joe