Sender:
From:
Brent Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 03:31:10 -0500
On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Jeffrey T Anbinder wrote:
> In a "best of three" or "first to three points" or even a "best of two"
> series (remember those? yuck!), it is not only acceptable, but it is
> traditional and proper, for the two teams not to line up and shake hands
> at the end of any game but the one that decides the series.

I appreciate your "annual explanation", but it sure looked to me like the
Cornell team was lining up to shake hands, since they first skated to
their goal and waited before moving to center ice for the traditional
stick-raising. Also, you can't deny that the Harvard team displayed some
obvious animosity towards the home squad (not to mention the fans, who
probably deserved it). If, in fact, tradition dictates that the two teams
not shake hands before the end of the series, I have to say that this is
a stupid way of doing things. Is the tournament so important that good
sportsmanship is no longer a priority? I think this display of good faith
does a lot to diffuse the tensions that build up over the course of a
hard fought game (i.e. Friday's matchup). No matter what the tradition,
it appeared to me that the Harvard team and coach would have sooner
kissed a slug than shake hands with Cornell.