Sender:
From:
Leigh M Torbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 01:00:30 -0500
To: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
First of all it's nice to see that Mike's back.

Secondly are exerpts from his analysis of the CC-UVM OT goal.

On Tue, 2 Apr 1996, Mike Machnik wrote:
> Tonight I sat down and went through all the different ESPN2 replays in slow
> motion, frame by frame, and I am pretty sure that the goal should not have
> counted.  Here is why:
>
> This was Jay McNeill.  He took the original shot that went off the pipe.
>
> The replay does clearly show McNeill batting the puck with his glove.
>
> This isn't what I saw.  The angle that shows it best is the one in which
> the net is on the left of the screen.  I had to go frame by frame to see
> this.
>
> After McNeill bats the puck down, it goes behind Thomas and appears not to
> touch him at all, and it hits the ice, heading towards the post to Thomas's
> left.
>
> Remackel was swooping around the net and tapped the puck with his stick.
> The puck hit Thomas and went in.  Hallman doesn't appear to touch it until
> after that, when he knocks it out of the net.
>
> You aren't able to clearly see Remackel touch the puck with his stick, but
> I looked closely at where his stick was and where Hallman's stick was when
> the puck was knocked towards Thomas.  Hallman's stick was still in the air
> and did not seem to be as close as Remackel's stick was.
>
> If Remackel never touched the puck, then he should not have been credited
> with the goal - the rules provide that in a situation where a team puts the
> puck in its own net, the goal is awarded to the last player on the offense
> who touched the puck (Rule 15-d), not the player closest to it.  Thus it
> should have gone to McNeill.  I believe the referee also saw Remackel touch
> the puck and not Hallman.
>
> This is an issue that will probably never be settled.  I agree that there
> seemed to be no conclusive replay.  But looking at it frame by frame, I'm
> pretty sure that the sequence was: McNeill bats it down with his glove ->
> Remackel taps it with his stick -> puck bounces off Thomas and crosses the
> goal line -> Hallman sweeps it out.

My thoughts on this commentary, in addition to agreeing 100% after
watching the tape 1,000 times myself, is that if the Warren Commission had
hired Mike in 1963 and given him the Zapruder film, we'd probably know
who killed JFK by now, and instead of having to pick up Jim Garrison's
drawl, Kevin Costner would have had to learn how to "Pahk the cah in
Hahvid Yahd," and root on the Warriors.

> BTW, McNeill was quoted as saying, "Uhh, yeah [it was a handpass], but it
> went off the goalie.  I think it went off his back."  Remackel said, "It
> definitely hit the goalie.  It hit the goalie and bounced off the side."
> On the other hand, one would not expect the CC players to say that the goal
> was really no good.

That's the best part about this goal, neither Remackel or the UVM
defenseman (please put names on your jerseys) would ever admit to
deflecting it!

Leigh