Sender:
From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:12:51 EST
I saw the goal on ESPN2 in a sports bar with no sound, first live and
then from several replay angles.  Here is what I saw, and
why I think (despite having rooted for the Cats) that the call was
correct.

1.  A CC player (the one ultimately credited with the assist), while
    falling forward in the crease, swats the rebound with his glove
    and intentionally redirects the puck down towards the goal.

2.  The puck deflects off of Thomas' leg and settles on the ice outside of
    the goal line.

3.  A VERMONT player attempts to clear the puck but deflects it into
    his own net off of Thomas' skate / ankle.

Remackle never touched the puck; he was credited with the goal because he
was the nearest CC player on an own-goal.

The puck was not thrown into the net, nor was it a hand-pass (because it was
the unfortunate UVM player who touched it after the swat, and not a CC
teammate).

Therefore, it was a legal goal.

Thing is, I have now read several hockey-l posts and heard the ESPN wrap-up
of the goal and read the Boston Globe review of the game, and nobody else
on the planet seems to have seen that it was a Vermont player, and not
Remackle, who put the puck in.  But there was absolutely no doubt in my
mind on at least 2 of the 4 or 5 angles I have seen the goal from
(inevitably, all the news and ESPN replays I saw featured the most
inconclusive of the angles).

Greg R. Berge