Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 03:08:17 EST
John Edwards writes:

>     Given that some of the games were played at several Massachusetts college
>     campus sites, does each game constitute a campus visit for each of the
>     pre-collegians from the States and otherwise who competed ?
>
>     Does anyone know the answer to this question ?

I would say the answer is no. It is no more a "visit" for those players (and
I don't know how many are affected), than my Jr. team's tournament at
Clarkson & Potsdam State this October was two "visits" for everybody on
our team.

The main determinant of what is a "visit" is, I believe, who pays for it.
If the school pays for it, it's an official "visit". A potential recruit
can only have 5 of these per year. So far as I can tell, there is nothing
to stop a recruit from visiting more campuses using his own money.

>     While not a question, I would also follow the hypothetical with this
>     observation:
>     Can the host programs guarantee no improper recruiting was going on during
>     the visits of the respective teams ?

That depends on your definition of improper recruiting. :-) Did coaches
talk to potential recruits (such as there were)? I would expect so. Were
they shown around the campuses they visited? Probably. Is it improper? I
really don't think so.

The only thing that would be improper, IMHO, would be if the host schools
restricted access to other coaches while allowing themselves the
opportunity to talk to potential recruits.

Does anyone have any idea how many U.S. players were pre-college players?
No Canadians fall under this scenario, since they've all played Major Jr.

See you later,
John

--
John Edwards       Stats Geek, Ottawa Senators Jr. A Hockey Club (21-12-1)
Email: [log in to unmask]    URL: http://chat.carleton.ca/~jedwards