Sender:
From:
"Mark J. Sonnier" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 12:03:06 -0800
Comments:
To: John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
At 03:41 PM 11/22/95 -0500, John Haeussler wrote:

>The game was over early in the second period when Michigan
>opened up a 5-0 lead and Moberg gave way to freshman
>Ian Perkins.  Although the shot total doesn't reflect it, UAF
>played much better from that point on.  Perkins was one of
>the highlights of my evening.  His performance was pure
>Steve Shields-ian.  To begin with, he's 6-4/200...Shields
>like proportions.  Beyond that, his play smacked of Shields'
>early days in Ann Arbor.  Perkins was flopping all over the
>crease, often finding himself on his butt making "ice angel"
>saves, but he managed to keep the puck out of the net.  UAF
>can only hope that he has half the collegiate career that
>Shields did.

This has been a UAF phenomenon for at least the past 10 years.  Freshman
goaltending sensation has jaws dropping all around the rink but seems to
wear down to mediocrity over the next fours seasons.  Could also be
attributed to the backup vs. starter role where the backup has everything to
gain and nothing to lose and the starter is always looking nervously to the
bench and plays accordingly apprehensive.

This can be traced back to mid-80's sensation Alba Brice who played superbly
as Mike Carr's backup but flopped as a starter his senior season.  (Maine
fans may recall Carr's heroics during the 85-86 season series in Orono.  He
was stellar in net despite being hobbled by a case of the flu that was so
severe he puked between periods and had to be pulled before passing out.)

Jamie Loewen, Todd Henderson, Brian Fish and now Larry Moberg have all
peaked early and fizzled by graduation time.  I'm hoping Ian Perkins can
break the mold.  He's without a doubt the biggest Nanook goalie ever, as his
predecessors have all been Moberg's size (5'8" 180#) We shall see...

Mark
Mark J. Sonnier, C.P.M.                                 Voice (907)786-6505
Purchasing Agent                                          Fax (907)786-6515
University of Alaska Anchorage           e-mail: [log in to unmask]
UAF Hockey fans say:  "Look out CCHA - 'Nooks in 95 are badder than Binky!"