Sender:
From:
Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 19:49:42 -0600
Comments:
Among Scott Monaghan's very good points on this topic was:
>1. College hockey has different recruiting roots than big-time football
>and basketball.  Many small-town Canadian kids have no idea what the Big
>10 is,  nor do they want to go to a school with 40,000 students.

College hockey also has another VERY strong dissimilarity with college
football.  Hockey only has 18 scholarships to offer in a sport where 19
players are likely to participate in a single game, while football gets 85
(I think it's still 85) scholarships when half that number of players are
likely to play in a single game.  So the big programs can't slurp up all
the top recruits and then redshirt most of 'em.  They'll only be able to
offer scholarships to a few, leaving top talent to accept scholarships from
other schools.

Pam Sweeney
Go Gophers!
Nastier, Bigger, Faster in '95-'96!