Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 1995 11:43:27 -0500
Steve Twombly writes:
>Congrats to Hockey East Player Of the Week
>Martin Fillion of the 6-1-2 UMASS-LOWELL
>Riverhawks!
>
>Marty stopped 70 of 77 shots in the last week
>in which he posted a 3-0 record.

BTW, for comparison on the past week:

                            W-L-T  MIN     GAA   SV%  GA  SVS
Martin Fillion, Lowell      3-0-0  180:00  2.00  .909  6   70
Martin Legault, Merrimack   2-1-0  180:00  3.00  .900  9   81

Lowell defeated Merrimack and last place Northeastern twice.
Merrimack lost to Lowell but defeated a more highly regarded opponent,
UNH, twice.

I think this was probably a tough call.  I won't argue it since I
think that Merrimack's defense had much to do with Legault's success
on the weekend - although his more aggressive style of play was also a
factor.

I'm also not sure that Legault was even nominated.  Beck seemed to
have a good chance of being the Merrimack nominee with three goals and
an assist on the weekend.

>WILL WE GET POLL VOTES THIS WEEK??

Based on what?  Seriously...Lowell hasn't met the iron yet and hasn't
beaten anyone of note.  But Providence, which still hasn't gotten much
recognition, has beaten Western Michigan on the road and Maine.  And
having seen both teams, I would certainly give PC more thought than
Lowell at this point.  And UNH without Todd Hall is still better than
Lowell...that would have Lowell no better than 5th in my ranking of HE
teams behind BU, Maine, PC, and UNH.  They would get a very slight nod
over Merrimack for beating them last week, with Merrimack's two wins
over UNH making it a close call.

Anyway, let's see how Lowell does against Vermont and either Maine or
UNH in the Gov's Cup.  That's going to be an interesting tournament...
Mike Machnik                 [log in to unmask]           [log in to unmask]
*****      Unofficial Merrimack Hockey home page located at:        *****
***** http://www.tiac.net/users/machnik/MChockey/MChockey.html      *****