Sender:
From:
Brian Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 1995 08:29:10 -0400
Tue, 26 Sept 26, Pam Sweeney <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>Michigan Tech has one of the most "alive and well" pep bands in the league.
>>In fact, the band has been outlawed at Lakeview Arena in Marquette, Mich.,
>>due to the effect it has on the game.

>Are you certain that's the reason?  A few years ago (must be 7 or so) the WCHA
>decided that, as a cost-cutting measure, no bands or cheerleaders are allowed
>at WCHA away games.  (Thus, when St. Cloud moved their home game against
>the Gophers to Target Center, Minnesota was not allowed to bring band or
>cheerleaders the 2-3 miles to the Target Center.)

Here's the deal on that....  The MTU Pep band was banned by Athletic Director/
Head Coach of NMU Rick Comley.  This happened about 6 years ago.  The rules
you are talking about in the WCHA occurred about 2 years ago.  Yes it is
true that no bands or cheerleaders may travel to a WCHA regular season away
game now.  So, yes the MTU Band is now only officially not allowed to go to
NMU due to WCHA rules (for hockey), but the band is still banned from
NMU for all other sports (per Rick Comley)

As for the "cost cutting measure", I believe that this rule was pushed the
hardest by Doug Woog (Gopher coach).  How does this cut costs?  Especially for
the most well funded team in the WCHA?  This move was to prevent UMD,  St. Cloud, ND or any other fans, bands, or cheerleaders to take away the Gopher's edge
in Mariucci.

On that same issue, the UMD pep band made a visit to MTU 4 years ago.  It was
fun to have two bands in the arena.  Since then, the MTU pep band has been
trying to go to UMD if UMD would agree to allow them in.  Due to games being
scheduled at UMD during quarter breaks, this has not been an option.  This
year is the first year that it would be possible.  The band director at UMD
liked the idea (so I'm told) and approached the UMD athletic director/WCHA
commissioner and he killed that idea in a hurry.  I guess he's scared....

Brian Wright