Sender:
Date:
Fri, 11 Dec 2020 20:14:40 +0000
From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
To: "Castonguay, Terri" <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Terri,

A number of organizations and associations discourage the use of UV.

For instance:
UPDATED3.5 Disinfecting Books and Other Collections - Northeast Document Conservation Center (NEDCC
https://www.nedcc.org/free-resources/preservation-leaflets/3.-emergency-management/3.5-disinfecting-books

Portable UV is especially problematic since many of them do not actually have the ability to sterilize even if you do use them properly. And using them takes quite a bit of time and effort since you have to make sure you thoroughly cover each individual page for enough time to kill microbes. Sorry. I actually considered tis option as well but ultimately decided against it.

David Smith
Associate Director of Library Services
180 W River Rd, Waterville, ME 04901
(207) 859-1235