From:
Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1992 23:00:22 EST
Carol writes..
>         ... there seems to be quite a few goals that are disallowed for
> various reasons. 1. Goal judge was asleep. 2. ...

Hmm.  In more than a dozen years, while watching several hundreds of
games, I've seen a Goal Judge consulted 4 times;  only one of those was
a College game.  Of the three others, I happened to be the goal judge
twice.  In one case, the puck was shot the length of the ice and was
misplayed by the goalie.  In the other case, the puck was kicked in.

Interestingly, I was interviewed by the referee *before* the game in
each case.

There have been *many* times when, as Goal Judge, I've thought an
illegal goal was scored, but was not given a chance to advance that
opinion to a Referee.

OK all you referees out there, except for hoping they stay out of the
way, how do *you* use the Goal Judges?

Referees all (properly) ignore the red light wrt whether and when a goal
has scored.  ("Ignore" is not the right word, as a referee will always
use the "wash-out" signal if an inadvertent or incorrect red light
appears).

Wayne Smith
BITNET/CREN:  wts@maine
internet:     [log in to unmask]