From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 16:56:04 -0500
Dave Carroll writes:
>I was looking over the hockey-l file, 9394tsch brown, and
>realized that Brown has played 9 OT games so far (with a
>2-3-4 record - a lot of work for close to dead even? (:'()

Actually, they've only played 8...you are counting their exhibition
game vs New Brunswick which does not count in their record.

Speaking of Brown...no one has mentioned that while being 9-4-3
overall, three of their four losses have been in OT and their fourth
was 2-1 to BU.  Holy cow.  They could just as easily be 16-0.  A close
loss to BU, a win at RPI, a close loss and tie to Harvard, but no top
10 ranking.  However, I suspect that's because they are 8-0-2 against
teams at or below .500, but 1-4-1 against teams over .500.

>Has anyone else played nearly that many OTs this year?

Notre Dame has also played in 8.

>Does anyone know the NC$$ record for OT games in a season?

This is another of those stats that isn't kept.  (btw...technically
there are no NC$$ records for hockey - the NC$$ doesn't keep records
for hockey.)  But Minnesota played in 12 OT games last season, and
Colorado College played in 11 in 1991-92 (including all three games of
their WCHA quarterfinal series with Minnesota-Duluth, two of which
went to triple OT and are among college hockey's longest games ever).
I haven't looked into it, but I don't know of any team that has played
more than 12 in a season.
Mike Machnik                                          [log in to unmask]
Cabletron Systems, Inc.                                  *HMM* 11/13/93
<<<<<< Color Voice of the (9-12-2) Merrimack Warriors WCCM 800 AM >>>>>