From:
"rob (r.) pinelli" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
rob (r.) pinelli
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 1994 09:49:00 +0000
In message "visiting fans seating in the ECAC", [log in to unmask] writes:

> > RPI - one half of one endzone.  The ushers are jerks.
> When I went there as a Clarkson student, we seemed to be scattered
> around the arena so we couldn't form a cheering section.  Because
> the main aisle is right in front of the glass, you get an obstructed
> view from just about anywhere.  (ok, so I'm exagerating, but it's
> still a poor design that the architech should've caught.)

   A bit of history here: from what I can remember, the Houston Fieldhouse used
to be an airplane hangar before it was an ice rink.  So, forgive the architect
if he didn't plan for plexiglas accordingly.  The student section at RPI is,
IMHO, pretty good.  The bad seats are in the corner were the large steel
support beams are that you have to crane your neck to look around.  I've been
to Colgate, Union, Princeton, Dartmouth,  and Vermont, and liked RPI's rink the
best of all of them.  Vermont rivaled RPI for volume and enthusiasm of the
crowd, Dartmouth's rink was nice but nobody there seemed to care about the
game going on, Colgate's rink had enough seating for the average Pee-Wee
league game, Princeton was nice but a bit cramped, and Union's rink seemed
an incredble fire hazard considering how hard it was to get to and from our
seats.  I have heard good things about the North Country rinks (Clarkson
and SLU) though I've never been there.

--Rob   RPI '93

--
 / | /|   Member of Scientific Staff    +NT/BNR knows nothing+  | |/_ \ /   _|
|  |  |  Bell-Northern Research  (BNR)  + they probably want +  | |  | |_| |_
 \_|_/    Research Triangle Park, NC    +to keep it that way!+  |_|   \_/ \_/
 B N R  Phone: (919) 991-8940 (ESN 294) ++++++++++++++++++++++ Northern Telecom