From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 3 Aug 1993 17:11:51 -0400
There have been a number of articles posted recently re: Olympic Women's Ice
Hockey, so I thought everyone on the List might enjoy the following article
from Sunday's Washington, DC "Post."  Despite the author's intention to no
doubt present as condescension-free an account as possible, IMHO she wasn't
altogether successful.  But y'all can decide for yourselves :-)  Parenthetical
comments [] and typos are mine ....

Hard to Separate Women's Hockey From Men's
[by] Christine Brennan, Washington "Post"  7/1/93

What wears mascara, worries about her nails, dresses like a girl and has all
her teeth ?  Would you believe, a women's ice hockey player ?  On Friday, for
the first time ever, a U.S. women's all-star ice hockey team played a game on
a national stage, at the U.S. Olympic Festival.  Women will compete for
Olympic medals in hockey for the first time in Japan in 1998.

The fact that Friday's game occurred in a city baking in 100-degree heat, just
a slap shop form the Mexican border, shouldn't for a minute diminish its
importance.  It was the United States vs. Canada, with Team USA winning 6-3
[sic], and while we're not talking about Brett Hull and Mario Lemieux, the
quality of play was good.  How good ?  Well, when you first walked into the
Alamodome, the only dome in America where you have a choice of buying a
ticket or renting a midsize, you couldn't tell from a distance if men or
women were playing.  That's very good news for the women.  They skate swiftly,
they wear the same ugly uniforms [sic] and bulky pads the men wear, and they
slap some hard shots past the goaltender.  It's not like women's basketball,
which suffers visually in comparison to the men's game because of speed, size
and strength differences.  In hockey, the discrepancies aren't quite as
obvious because skates are the great equalizer: they make everyone look fast.

As of Friday, there are now witnesses to this sport, people who actually have
seen women play hockey in the Unites States - and liked what they saw [it's
not like women's hockey didn't exist before Friday - I guess all of us who've
watched women's hockey for *years* don't count ??].  And what exactly did it
look like ?  We'll take the questions in order of importance:

Q: Do they fight ?
A: No. "There aren't really any 'goonettes' in our game," said U.S. star Cammi
   Granato, younger sister of Tony Granato of the LA Kings.  The women's game
   is comparable to the men's international game.  There is body contact, but
   no open-ice hitting.  You have to go for the puck first.  The only fighting
   Granato ever has seen in her career was in youth hockey, when she played on
   boys' teams.  "I had a couple guys try to run me," she said. "One time, when
   I was 13, I was playing in a tournament in Kansas City, and I dumped the
   puck in and about 20 seconds later this guy decked me.  He gave me a con-
   cussion and I missed the next game."  As she lay there, she lifted her head
   up from the ice and what she saw made her smile.  Several of her teammates -
   all boys - were pummeling the kid who hit her.  "My teammates were in the
   penalty box the whole game," she said proudly.

Q: Do they *really* have all their teeth ?