From:
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 3 Jun 1993 10:57:32 EDT
Greg has converted one of my between-seasons-pass-the doldrums-post into an
interesting issue.

>Here's what I meant. You fire a pass to me from
>our defensive zone (behind our blue line). The
>puck crosses into our offensive zone (beyond their
>blue line), then I cross (on-side) and pick it up.
>Old rules: fine. New rules: illegal. Or so I think.
>True or false?

Under the "new rules" I also believe the player is off-sides.  A player has to
establish his stick with the puck in the neutral area prior prior to proceeding
into the offensive zone.  (I know I shouldn't be trying a rule intrepretation.)
But I am fascinated about the "old rules".  Do I understand Greg's initial post
correctly: There were no blue lines only a red line?  This WOULD significantly
alter play.  The effect on short-handed situations alone would be a major
difference.I don't remember this to be the case.  And how would the college
game evolve so differentlyfrom the pros?The idea of a hockey game with no
blue lines intrigues me.  Can anyone confirm this?
                    _
            "NYS   // Hockey"
        Go 'Gate  //   Brian Morris
          Go RPI //      Albany, NY