From:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
James Evans <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:48:19 -0500
opinion:

Citing a need for a change in direction, Mark Dienheart will announce that
Chris Locker will take over the head coaching position. "There needs to be
a change from hiring only University of Minnesota graduates, and we felt
college graduates in general. We feel the basketball program has taught us
we need to find candidates who struggle as the athletes do," said
Dienheart. "Chris Locker will fill the role as somebody who has struggled,
he wasn't an All American but is familiar with the circling routines the
players do in practices."

On a serious note, it's a shame Woog won't get a chance to coach what I
feel will be one of the most challenging years for the Gophers. They lose
by far their best two players, have shakey defense, a goalie question, and
the two most proficient Minnesota High School forwards who show little
signs of dominating.