From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 08:04:07 -0500
> My experience has been that most rinks in Hockey East, BC, Providence,
> Northeastern and Maine come to mind, serve beer within the arena, but only
> if you are member or guest of their booster club.
>
> BU is the exception to this, they are the only team in HE that sells at
> concession stands.  My understanding is that BU was allowed to sell beer
> under a "grandfather clause".  Apparently when the school, in the late
> '50's, took over Braves Field where the Boston (future Milwaukee, now
> Atlanta) Braves played, they were allowed to hold onto the liquor license
> that went with the ballpark.  I'm not sure if this 100% accurate, perhaps
> Ed Moller could fill us in.  Anyway, I've always thought it curious that
> the world's greatest moralist - BU (former) President John Silber would
> allow such a debasing of an institution of higher learning.

I don't know the answer to that one.  After all these years of being around
beer and wine concessions, I just took it for granted.  I never really
considered the various reasons why other schools wouldn't serve alcohol.  As
for Silber's morals, don't be swayed by his rhetoric.  His morals have always
been limited to the mighty dollar.  Why should he be different from any other
CEO in this world?

> BTW Ed,  I know that the don't play football but, do Cambridge and Oxford
> have hockey teams?

Thanks to John Whelan for bailing me on that one.
--
Edward N. Moller
Controller