From:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Weston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:42:43 -0500
At 05:00 AM 11/26/97 -0500, greenie wrote:

>1. Teachers are often approached and otherwise contacted by coaching staffs
>of colleges regarding their student athletes who happen to be in their
>class. For the most part the purpose of this communication is to "establish
>a relationship" and "let the teacher understand the needs of the
>student-athlete at the univeristy and college level." What this means is
>that the coach, his staff, the team -- nee the entire university -- would
>like special treatment. Thusly teachers (and other faculty) often feel
>undue pressure from the athletic department, their own academic department,
>and the administration as a whole.

Like others here, I must address this.

I taught English at The Ohio State University for 8 years, and I had many
student-athletes in class, even some "big names."  I was never "approached"
by anyone to make concessions for my student-athletes.  The academic
advisors of SAs send around progress report sheets that are filled out; some
advisors pay attention to them, some do not.

In my classes, anyone with "special needs"--including SAs and
non-traditional students who must work a lot (for money) to get through
school--can ask for all kinds of concessions, and get them.  Students of
mine are able to revise papers, reschedule exams, etc.--and these
flexibilities are available to everyone.  Does this help SAs?
Unquestionably.  Does it help anyone else who needs it?  Yes.

But I've never been encouraged to treat an SA as a special entity.  Never.
Not even in the hallowed halls where the ghost of Woody Hayes is still
throwing chairs from the sidelines.

In fact, I had the unfortunate occasion to report a failing grade (for the
term) for a well-known basketball player who did absolutely nothing in my
class.  He begged for a second chance, until I found out that I *was* his
second chance--he'd failed the class once before.  His cries fell on deaf
ears both in the Departments of English and Athletics.

As for Greenie's assertion that most athletes--especially hockey
players--are among the top students, IMHO, that's crap.  As was pointed out,
when you have any pool of students, you have poor students, average
students, and above-average students.

When playing really meant something to them, my SAs at least tried hard in
class and did their work.  Their grades--those who actually did the
work--range from As to C-s.  (Few students who actually do the work earn
below a C-.)  In fact, my very best students as a group--without
exception--have not been athletes (and not hockey players, certainly) but
engineering students.  Without exception.

Such generalities about higher education, Greenie--and about SAs--are far
from the mark.  So are generalities about non-athlete students.

Paula C. Weston
CCHA Correspondent, USCHO