From:
Dave Morgenstern <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:02:54 -0400
Since it was asked...

Here are some observations from watching the games on TV.

BC-NU:

They must have printed 7pm on the tickets instead of 6 because the place
was empty when the game started.  Very few fans in the building.  I know
from the past that the first period is usually played to a small crowd, but
in the past there have always been a few thousand on hand from the start.
More on that later.

I watched this game while doing other things, so I don't have too many
details.  BC got the first goal, by Reasoner on the PP on a really nice
pass from the side boards, cross ice to Reasoner who had plenty of net
short side to bury it.  Eruzione (who was the color man for both games) was
saying how much he had to shoot at.  68 showed replays from multiple
angles, including a great one from above the net that really showed how
open the goal was.  68 did a nice job overall last night, except for
missing some action while showing replays or commercials.  Otherwise I
liked the coverage.  Being a BU fan helps.  Although they did have Joe
Bertagna between periods offering analysis, to balance things out.  He
really knows his stuff and I liked listening to him.

But I digress.  I got the feeling after the BC goal that they would run
away with the game, but I was wrong.  NU really showed some heart and began
to carry the play for some stretches.  They had a lot of good chances and
Taylor was excellent again.  NU finally broke through on a partial
breakaway goal by Barclay, shorthanded.

The second period was scoreless, but had plenty of excitement.  If you
don't like defensive hockey though, it wasn't for you.  I was still kind of
surprised how NU stayed with BC, but in the Beanpot, you never know.  I was
also starting to get that feeling that OT could happen because it would
mean I would have to stay up even later to watch the BU game.

When BC scored in the third, NU's inexperience began to show.  I think they
felt like they had to score immediately, even though there was plenty of
time left.  They made a few mistakes that led to the next goal, and then it
was over.  Unfortunately I was paying the bills at this time, so I only
heard the goals in the background, and didn't really get to see the action.
I had to go by the announcers and what they were saying about the teams.  I
did see the action that led to the DQ's.  I thought Gravalese made the
right calls.  A BC player got slashed coming over the blue line trailing
the play.  The slash was hard enough to break the slasher's stick.  After
the play ended, there was a scrum near the net, and Wainwright came in and
grabbed an NU player around the neck from behind and threw him down.  The
NU player was DQ'd for the slash, Wainwright for the tackle I guess.  The
others just got 2 and 10.  And you could here the ref on the mike tell the
scorer that they could just 'go home'.  To which Eruzione responded that
will be tough for the NU guy because home is in B.C.  (guess you had to be
there).

BU-Harvard:

I didn't know what to expect about this one because BU has been somewhat
unpredictable.  But they seem to be on another upswing.  The game started
out with BU having the edge in play, although scoring chances were few for
both teams.  BU had a few golden opportunities that Prestifilipo stopped.
Larcocque looked equally up to the task at the other end.  I would say that
BU carried the play up until they scored late in the first on the PP.
Kelleher took a wrist shot from the point that the announcers felt was
deflected, but I thought was just a knuckleball type of shot that dipped at
the end through the five hole.  I think the goalie when he saw the shot
thought it would be higher, and was screened and couldn't see it lose steam
and start to sink.  Anyway, it was in, 1-0 BU to end the period.  Harvard
did pick up the pace after the goal and started to look like they were in
charge at the end of the first, and finished the first on the PP.

Harvard began the second on the PP and couldn't do to much.  But I think
they dominated the second period and if not for some very good goaltending
could have tied it up.  However, the shot totals were very low, and BU did
play sound D even though I think they were outplayed.  I had the fear that
they were holding on and one bad bounce to tie the game could be trouble
for them.  BU did seem to sustain any offense, but they did have a few
point blank chances that Prestifillipo came up big on.  Pierce also had a
shot all alone from 15 feet in the slot that he kind of whiffed and the
puck slid harmlessly on net.

I felt the first few minutes of the 3rd were the key for BU.  In these
close ones they tend to come out on fire and if they score, they dominate,
if they don't, then they can be in trouble.  Well, fortunately for us BU
fans, they scored.  Sylvia picked up a loose puck in front and showed some
patience in putting it behind an out of the play goalie.  He was out of the
play because Bates was knocked itno him by the Harvard D.  The whole play
was started by Shane Johnson who played real well for only his second game
at forward.  Bates quickly returned the favor to Johnson by feeding him a
nice pass on a 2-1 and Johnson, looking like a real scorer, put a wrister
in far side from around the left circle.  At that point it felt like the
game was well in hand.  BU added two more goals to go up 5-0 and the game
was over then.  Harvard added one on the power play on a deflection.  Then
BU scored two more, I think the final four goal scorers were, Degerman,
Drury, Pierce and I can't remember the fourth, maybe Heron.  I'll look it
up.

Looks like a good final next Monday.  Go BU.

About the Fleet.  The Beanpot doesn't feel the same in there, although I
haven't gone yet.  Hopefully I will see for myself next week.  They did
have almost 17K by the time the second game was going on, so that is a huge
crowd.  But it doesn't seem as electric as the old Garden.

Dave