Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 11:14:57 -0500
I'm not surprised that a second-rate station like WABU was forced to
drop BU hockey but NESN's decision really surprises me. College hockey
is really well received in NEW England and from a PR standpoint, I believe
that it is a poor decision.

Alot of questions about Hockey East games on TV now come to
question. Can schools that have other successful Division I sports such
as Boston College (football and basketball), Providence (basketball) and
UMASS (basketball) package all their Division I sports into a TV contract?
If this could occur, a big shift in recruiting could occur. Afterall, who
wants to play at a school that never gets TV coverage?

>>> Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]> 12/15/96 10:56am >>>
Today's Boston Globe (12/15/96) brings the news that New England
Sports
Network (NESN) will drop coverage of Hockey East after this season.
The
stated reason is that the relationship is no longer "financially viable".
 According to John Claiborne, NESN President & GM "it's been a great run
but,
finally, because of the amount of expenses, we weren't getting the
return,
dollar-for dollar."

The NESN/Hockey realtionship goes back to the inception of the league
back in
1984.  Over that period NESN has televised over 300 games for Hockey
East.
 This news follows on the heels of WABU (Ch 68), Boston to scale back
their
coverage of Boston University hockey this year as well.  A double hit for
college hockey fans this year.

I have a couple of thoughts about this news.  First, from NESN's
standpoint
it makes perfect sense.  If they are losing money, why continue with the
effort?  Unlike random college basketball (where production comes from
somewhere else) or the hunting and fishing shows (which are
syndicated), the
expense of producing college hockey games was all NESN's, thus the
viewership
had to be higher to make it economically feasible.  In the past, NESN could
more readily absorb the deficit because of the money they made on
televising
Bruins and Red Sox games.  However, in the last few years, viewership
of both
these teams has dropped, subscription money has decreased and, as a
result,
the quasi-subsidization of college hockey, local college football and the
like has been scaled back or dropped.

I think the only way eastern college hockey will get back on the tube on a
regular basis (not including the Beanpot and league championships) is if
the
leagues produce their own telecasts and then sells the rights, similar to
what the NCAA does.  My observation after seeing the paltry attendance
at
some schools (especially Providence and Merrimack) is that it won't  be
 happening soon.  When several of the schools in the league struggle to
get
decent attendance at an on-campus rink  how can we expect that the
sport
 will draw enough interest among the general public to warrant such an
expense.

I will miss the NESN telecasts.  I guess it will drive me to purchasing a
Direct-TV dish so I can get my fix of non-UNH college hockey.  Is there a
chance that the situation could be saved?

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
Go (UNH) Blue !!, Beat Bucky!!

[log in to unmask], The College Hockey Information
List.