From:
William Sangrey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 17:21:27 -0400
> One particular Lynah cheer that always gives me a chuckle is the "Screw BU"
> cheer.  No matter what team Cornell plays against, you'll hear this one
> numerous times during the game.  After a lead-in by the pep band, the crowd
> will chant something like "Screw BU, Harvard too!", or "Screw BU, Clarkson
> too!", dependent on who we are skating against.  The funny part is that we
> haven't been in the same conference with BU since ECAC and Hockey East
> split, many years ago. And we rarely play them, but it doesn't matter...we
> have to get that dig in.  I can only assume we used to have a pretty healthy
> rivalry with BU in the "old days".
>
> Craig Bloom
> Cornell '93
> 1996 IVY CHAMPS!
> 1996 ECAC CHAMPS!

"Healthy rivalry" puts it mildly.  Between the mid sixties and 1980 or
so, the vast majority of the ECAC titles were won by either the Red or the
Terriers.  In that streach, both ran off four straight titles (ECAC
record) and won a couple others.  In addition, the teams each collected
national titles, and since this was in the days of a four team tourney,
getting the ECAC title was sometimes the harder part.  Of all the teams
lost to HE in 1984, from a Cornell fan's perspective, BU was the team
most missed.  Hopefully, with the additional NC games allowed for the Ivy
teams, BU can continue to appear on the Cornell schedule, and with the
improvements in the team, the games will once again be hard fought
encounters.

William Sangrey
Cornell '83&'94
Let's Go RED!!!

(My first Lynah game was in 1970, so I saw part of the rivalry, but am
thin on some details.)