From:
Nathan Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 14:22:57 -0400
BG has a version of "See Ya!" (or as they spell it at the University of
Toledo: C-Ya).  It started in Section E two years ago after the Saturday
Night Live skit that featured the airline flight attendants saying:
Ba-bye now! to the passengers.  It starts with the standard aaaaahhhhhhh,
leading up to See-ya!  Though from the moment the opposing player starts
for the penalty box we start and hold the first part.  Building to a
crescendo as he steps into the box, and finally hitting the "See-ya!" and
the second foot hits the inside of the box.  Added immediately to the end
of that is a quick "BA-BYE, that's the news and you-are-outta-here!"

Credit where it is due, the most creative variant on the "Sieve" chant I
have heard this year was during the home blow-out against Michigan.  The
Michigan fans pointed at their goalie, then to ours, and then to Freddie
Falcon.  They then chanted "Goalie, Sieve, Chicken! Goalie, Sieve,
Chicken!"  It got some laughs down front among our people.

For our part, as the teams leave the ice, if we have lit the opposing
goalie up that night, or if the starting goalie is pulled, as they leave
the ice we chant "Sieve, Sieve, Sieve!" like anybody else.  As the second
string goalie skates past we chant "BACK-UP SIEVE, BACK-UP SIEVE!"  We
actually get laughs from the back-ups.

The only reply I have really liked against Michigan was during the 8-1
home loss.  They were chanting "Overrated."  And in one of those rare
moment when things get quite, and they weren't saying anything, I turned
and yelled:  "Wait 'til Northwestern gets a hockey team!"

Nathan W.L. Boyle
BGSU