From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 15 Apr 1996 11:55:27 -0400
Good Morning -

  Following along the trail blazed so well by Rick McAdoo (who last week
posted the schedule of fellow Hockey East member Boston College in what I
thought was a very nice format), here is the:

UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE Men's ice hockey schedule for 1996-97:
As usual, everything is TENTATIVE (as of March 18, 1996)

All times listed as 7:00 p.m. (except tournaments)
All games HOCKEY EAST Conference games unless otherwise noted
(24 HE games, 10 non-conference [2 tournaments], 1 exhibition)
(17 home, 13 away, 4 neutral/tournament)

Date   Day     Opponent
------ ---     -------------------------------------------------------
OCT 11 Fri     UNIVERSITY OF OTTAWA (non-conference/exhibition)
    19 Sat     VERMONT (non-conference; ECAC)
    25 Fri     UNION (non-conference; ECAC)
    26 Sat     COLGATE (non-conference; ECAC)

NOV  1 Fri  at Northeastern
     2 Sat     NORTHEASTERN
     8 Fri     UMASS-AMHERST
     9 Sat  at Umass-Amherst
    15 Fri     MAINE
    16 Sat     MAINE
    22 Fri  at Boston College
    23 Sat     BOSTON COLLEGE
    29 Fri  at Governor's Cup, Burlington, VT; Vermont (non-conference; ECAC)
    30 Sat  at Governor's Cup, Burlington, VT; Umass-Lowell/Maine (non-conf)

DEC  6 Fri  at Merrimack
     7 Sat     MERRIMACK
    10 Tue  at Harvard (non-conference; ECAC)
    27 Fri  at Badger Classic, Milwaukee, WI; Colorado College (non-conf; WCHA)
    28 Sat  at Badger Classic, Milwaukee, WI; Wisconsin/Vermont (non-conf)

JAN  3 Fri  at Boston University
     5 Sun     BOSTON UNIVERSITY (2:00 P.M.)
    10 Fri     ST. LAWRENCE (non-conference; ECAC)
    11 Sat     CLARKSON (non-conference; ECAC)
    17 Fri  at UMass-Lowell
    18 Sat     UMASS-LOWELL
    24 Fri  at Merrimack
    25 Sat  at Boston College
    31 Fri     NORTHEASTERN

FEB  1 Sat  at UMass-Amherst
     7 Fri     UMASS-LOWELL
     9 Sun  at Maine
    14 Fri     PROVIDENCE
    15 Sat  at Providence
    28 Fri     PROVIDENCE

MAR  1 Sat  at Boston University

This tentative schedule is much the same as last year's, but includes a few
interesting quirks:

- Unlike last year, when the 'Cats didn't play at home until 10 November to
    accommodate the Whittemore Center construction schedule, this year's
    schedule is markedly "Whitt-Friendly" early on; 8 of the 'Cats first 11
    games are at home, and in fact the overall ratio between home/away games
    has completely reversed from last year's 13/17 home/away composition.

- Given that this year's Phinal Phour (tm) featured a representative from
    each Div1 conference, I'm surprised/pleased to see that UNH has games
    scheduled this coming season against 3 of the 4 phinalists, including a
    match-up with Colorado College in the first round of the Badger Classic,
    the 'Cats first such tilt with the Tigers since the waning days of the
    interlocking HE/WCHA schedule in 1988-89.  Well - maybe .... Wisconsin's
    tentative schedule posted earlier has UNH-UVM (in which case the Cata-
    mounts would become a pseudo-Hockey East team in the eyes of UNH, this
    being the *third* game 'twixt these two former ECAC rivals before New
    Year's Day :-) as one of the two Badger Classic semifinals, so it re-
    mains to be seen which schedule will out in the end ....

- The home stretch should be veeerrry interesting, as after not having played
    Providence all season the 'Cats and Friars tussle with one another in 3
    consecutive contests, albeit interspersed with the second of UNH's man-
    datory off weeks.  And then it all comes down to a season-ending tilt
    with the Terriers at Walter Brown Arena, surely one of UNH's least fav-
    orite places to play (along with everyone else in Hockey East :-) ....

  And finally ....

Date: Sat, 6 Apr 1996 17:28:23 -0500
From: Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
>According to the BDN Greg Cronin is working with the two CCHA powers to
>schedule two-game home and home series.  Michigan State is also being
>considered as well.  It appears that Maine is trying to work out a long-
>term deal.  If it works out, Maine would host the teams one year, then
>play in their buildings the next.

  A similar arrangement is apparently under consideration between UNH and
LSSU as well, with each school hosting the other for a 2-game home series
in alternating years, perhaps beginning as soon as the 1997-98 season.  As
best I can determine, the 'Cats and Lakers have never met, although their
paths have intersected indirectly; former LSSU coach Frank Anzalone played
collegiately at UNH for Charlie Holt.  It remains to be seen whether the
unfortunate termination of the UIC program will open up additional inter-
conference games between Hockey East and the CCHA, but it's clear that at
some level there's an increased awareness of the mutual benefit such match-
ups bring to both schools and leagues ....

  Cheers from the Chesapeake - Jim
  Go Blue !!!