From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 12:54:56 EST
As much as I loathe the NC$$, I can't see any reason why there'd
be a "conspiracy" against hockey.  Women's basketball deserves all
the attention it can get -- who wouldn't be willing to bet that its
popularity "ceiling" is orders of magnitude greater than college hockey's?
It is also a hell of a lot easier to market sneakers than blocker pads,
and the NC$$ didn't earn those non-alpha-numeric characters for nothing.

The NC$$ also loves to trumpet a women's sport because they have the
deserved reputation of having been neanderthal sexist a**holes through most
of their history, and if there's one thing the NC$$ hates as much as
red ink on a balance sheet it's bad ink on the Op-ed page.  Though you'ld
sure think they'd be used to it... :-)

Also, hate to break the news, but even after women's squeak is firmly
established, the next big money sport on the way up the NC$$ gravy
train is probably college soccer.  I know, I know, it's INCREDIBLY
boring, but the US likely pulls in enough soccer-crazy (words used advisedly)
immigrants every thirteen minutes to fill every rink in the NCAA down
to junior varsity club level.

All of this makes me very happy, of course, since my well-documented
attitude towards greater exposure is "screw THAT."  But however you
look at it, it just isn't going to happen; the point, she is moot.

Greg Berge
Cornell 86 99
"One degree per decade, whether you need it or not."
Let's Go Red!