Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:25:18 EST

> ...I'd always pictured Mike Machnik as being, well, older...

He only *looks* middle-aged.  :-)

Some comments of my own:

* I had the class I teach at BU (Thursdays from 6-9pm) lobbying for an early
exit due to the game.  I was a good do-bee, though, and went right to the
hour, rushed to a local bar prepared to fight off the Bruins-Canadiens game
only to find that no one there cared about the Bruins game (!) and were
watching all the ESPN2 fillers while waiting for the ice problems to get
fixed.  My only frustration was that they kept showing all the scores on
the ticker at the bottom of the screen, but never showed the UVM-CC score.
I'd known it was in OT, but it seemed ironic that they weren't showing the
score for a game *they'd shown* on their ticker.

* I can't believe that they never showed The Goal from the Minnesota game as
part of the pregame.  I have yet to see it even once and can only hope that
it was shown around 8:00 or so and I'll have it on the tape I've been
promised.

* I'd like to see instant replay made available to refs to determine goal-no
goal calls in whatever NC$$ games having TV coverage.  You can hardly blame
the refs for missing the call; when I saw replays of CC's game-winner
the first couple times I couldn't figure out *where* the
puck was even in slow motion.  This was a near impossible call for the refs
and the ultimate objective at this level is to get the call right.  The
officials should have been able to consult the replay.

* I wonder if the ice problems could have affected St. Louis and Perrin more
than other, less speed-oriented players.

* Just total domination by Michigan.  Shocking.  As awesome as they looked
early in the game, I was perhaps more impressed with their attention to defense
and backchecking late.  Their perception has been one of offensive firepower,
but they just shut BU down.  Although I was rooting for BU, I did expect
Michigan to win and even had an All-West showdown in Deron's Contest.
Unfortunately, I'd predicted Michigan-LSSU.  As long as I finish ahead of my
son; I don't want to hear his gloating *again*...  :-)

* I didn't comment earlier on the Cole-LSSU controversy since I've been busy
at work this week (making up for last week's Work/HOCKEY-L imbalance).  But I
didn't see a problem with Cole's performance.  And I'll back up Mike's
claim to impartiality.  I even teased him with, "Mike, why don't you just come
out of the closet and admit you're rooting for the Lakers?" since he was
perhaps the only impartial viewer in a sea of Vermont support.  Again, I didn't
see a problem and I'm no ref-lover.

DaveH
Go Michigan!