From:
"Paul A. Troy" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul A. Troy
Date:
Mon, 25 Mar 1996 15:18:44 -0600
Jack (and all) --

You note this morning prompted me to re-subscribe to Hockey-L. Thanks.

For starters, according to the yesterday's Tribune, two trustees from the U of
I system put added pressure on the athletics department to, basically, give
Collins whatever he wanted. Sadly, this may include sacrificing the hockey
program for the good of basketball. I spoke to a buddy in the Athletics Dept.
(please let me keep his name out of this) who said that he currently doesn't
know anything and any words will filter down to him like with anyone else. From
what I've heard, the hockey banquet is still on (set for 4/13). My limited
grapevine mentioned that Hockey USA wrote about the Pedrie firing as well as
the national search for a replacement; and another friend in administration
confirmed that the search is ongoing. The issue also is in Collins' lap in
terms of salary. If his asking price (and other demands) is higher that what
was paid to the old coach, then the athletics' budget can only go so far.
Personally, I'd rather they sacrifice the tennis program. Finally, I know that
the breakeven point for each game at the Pavilion is about 1500 paying
customers. It seems to me that the attendence is under that number more often
than over. The cutting of programs raises an issue: how many Division I
programs must a school have in order to compete in Division I? I believe there
is such a rule for the NC$$.

FWIW, if the program goes, I'll show up at the first couple basketball games
dressed as a hockey player with sign in hand demanding the program be
reinstated. If nothing else, it'll make a paper or two.

Sorry for the helter-skelter reading; my brain is thinking faster than I can
type with these index fingers. Also, I know the program is not the best, but
the loss of any program is a loss to the game (and I said the same thing when
Kent State dropped their team).

Needless to say, if this comes to fruition, I'll be one _VERY_ depressed and
ashamed alum and season ticket holder.

Saddened,
++ Paul - UIC '92

--
Paul A. Troy           [log in to unmask]            847/435-6547

** As of 1/20/96, the area code has changed from 708 to 847.      O-
- Beckett and Calavicci in `96 - Putting right what once went wrong.
- Al's Place: Where Leapers can be themselves!
- Coming in second only means that you will be the first loser.
- Today's weather:  hard top on (until March 29!).  :(  MCA: #50778