From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 1996 13:33:34 -0500
We saw 3 games go down to the wire and another with a near shutout.
Plus it was good to see/meet a bunch of hockey-l people (what was that
cheer the UVM people were doing?).  A few comments about the weekend:

- It looked like an attendance success, with UVM bringing in the
biggest part of the crowd.  Cornell, BU, and Clarkson brought a good
number of people as well.  I don't think the 12,400 for Saturday night
was the record hockey crowd at the Knick which some had expected.

- Why did the cameraman in the penalty box feel the need to get close
up shots right in the face of every player who went to the penalty
box?  A couple of players found ways to get the camera off them, with
one Cornell player just putting his glove over the lens and a nice
move by a BU player who just kept his glove on his stick between him
and the camera until the cameraman gave up and took a longer range
shot of him from the other penalty box.

- Why did the Knick have to take down all banners besides the NCAA
hockey ones?  There are usually 3 Albany River Rats championship
banners, plus some from the Albany Firebirds and for Siena
Basketball.  Is this something the NCAA requires?  If an NCAA
tournament game was held at the Fleet Center, would all of the Bruins
and Celtics banners have to come down?  It seems kind of silly to me.

- And finally, why the no reentry policy?  We had 45-50 minutes
between games.  I would have liked to leave the building to get some
food I could actually afford.  At the ECAC's last weekend, everyone
coming in got their hand stamped and was free to come and go if they
wanted.  Yes, I know the answer.  Same reason that the normally free
parking lots were charging $5...

But still, it was an excellent weekend of hockey and I'm already
looking forward to going to the regionals in Worcester next season.

--
Jim Teresco - [log in to unmask] - http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~terescoj/
Research Assistant, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute