From:
Nicole Doria-Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nicole Doria-Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 1995 10:05:20 -0500
To add to the discussion of gender equity:

Roger Spurgeon said:

>One major part of the reason why any of the Big Ten schools may be
>holding back on developing their hockey programs is the Big Ten's (I'm
>not sure if this is a NCAA rule or just within the Big Ten) Gender Equity
>Act...

Gender equity is a national law. Title IX is a 1972 amendment to the Civil
Rights Act. As interpreted in the courts, it means that federally funded
educational institutions cannot discriminate on the basis of gender, that
the gender ratio of student athletes should approach that of the student
body, and that money cannot justify gender discrimination.

>With football taking up some 85 or so scholarships, it is very difficult for
>the
>schools to fulfill the requirements of the Gender Equity Act--especially
>when you consider that almost every sport is financially supported by Men's
>Basketball and Men's Football."

As J. Michael Jackson pointed out, this is a myth. 91% of college football
programs do not pay for themselves, let alone other sports.  Granted, in
big football schools (Division I-A) it's better - only 45% lose money.
[NCAA, statement before the US House of Representatives Subcommittee on
Commerce, Consumer Protection, and Competitivenes, 1993).] So the "need" to
give all those scholarships to men's football is not a financial one.

Nicole A. Doria-Rose                   Go Red!
360 Biotechnology Building
Cornell University
Ithaca, NY 14853