From:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Baines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 1995 22:42:04 EDT
David Carroll, BU'73, writes...
>>>>><<<<<<<
Boy, I was really bashing the heck out of Maine. How could I have
been so biased? And BTW I can think of several other BU folks on
the list who could point to similar records of giving Maine fair
treatment. How about the same courtesy, guys?

I agree.

I know there are plenty of BU fans that give Maine credit for the fine
job this season, as there are Maine fans, like myself, that note that
BU simply wanted it more in the championship game, and therefore deserves
the title.  All things considered, Mainers are quite pleased with the
silver trophy.  I saw it today, in fact.  It looks really nice.

As for the anti-BU sentiment, I've found that most of it is based out of
fear.  Not fear of the team in general, but fear that if BU wins, BU fans
would "rub it in our face."  (Yes, that is a direct quote.)  They simply
fear that the urban, rude Terrier fans would treat us country-folk with
the lack of couth they seem to develop in the "big city."

Surprise, my fellow Black Bears, it didn't happen.

Okay, so some BU fans chanted "cheater" when Shawn Walsh accepted his
second-place prize.  (Let the scoreless tie go, guys.)  Maine fans also
choose to remember the "Maine is a disgrace to college hockey" banner
that flew in Walter Brown Arena, and later in print in the Maine Campus
newspaper.  But these same fans, who are quick to cry no-class, are also
the ones that chant "BU sucks" or "it sucks to B.U." when the Terriers
come to the Alfond.  No-one is innocent.

I've come to find that some Maine fans are just too sensitive when it
comes to their team, and everyone else is just an outsider.  For example,
I can remember a UM football game this past year at Northeastern, when
some fans in blue lividly stood up and chastised a P.A. announcer they
couldn't see for daring to mispronouce some of the Maine names.  Oh,
the humanity!  There are other examples, but you get the idea.  We're
proud of our little northeast corner, but a little too proud sometimes.

As for the SI article that dared to compare the BU-Maine rivalry to those
of UNC-Duke and others,  I'm sorry, but that's a joke.  I have a friend
at UNC, and although it never gets violent, UNC, Duke, and NC State fans
haze one another in ways we New Englanders could never dream of.  Once
again, the atmosphere at the big game, albeit spirited, was TAME compared
to the other aforementioned rivalries.  I'm going to go as far as to
say that Maine and BU fans acted with a lot of class on that day.  Let's
hope it doesn't end there.

As far as Maine fans go, if there is anything good that can come out,
of the BU loss, it's hopefully that Maine fans will stop being
complacent and go back to the screaming and yelling the Alfond Arena
used to be famous for.  Once Maine won that title, the place REALLY
quieted down.  I hope Maine fans get that hunger back.  Until then, I
invite BU fans to enjoy the championship to the hilt, and advise them,
not to get complacent now that you've got a taste of winning it all.
It can really put a damper on an atmosphere.

All in all, Maine and BU fans have a lot to be proud of.  Ignore the
few bad apples.  We're all pretty much good eggs.  Speaking of food,
I hope Maine fans will be hungry once again.
We're Bears......We're Black......We Want Our Title Back.............

    |\  Jim Baines  (irc nick: "Sportcstr")       GO           MM   MM
    |/  [log in to unmask]                    BLACK       M M M M
  \ |\  Bangor, Maine, U.S.A.                       BEARS      M  M  M
   \|/  University of Maine Class of 1989            !!!!!!!   M     M