From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 1995 09:19:35 CST
From the article in the Star Tribune 3/25/95, reprinted here without permission

headline: GODBOUT SUFFERS STROKE Freshman in good condition with blood clot
in brain
by John Gilbert and Dennis Brackin, Staff Writers

Gophers freshman defenseman Jason Godbout was reported in good condition
Friday in University of Wisconsin Hospital after suffering an apparent stroke.

Godbout was hospitalized before the Gophers' NCAA Tournament game against RPI
in Madison. A hospital spokesperson said he had been examined and was in good
condition. Godbout was conscious and able to communicate with his family at
the hospital.

"We didn't know anything about it until we arrived here for the game," Ken
Godbout, Jason's father said. "Jason has asked us to just say he did have a
stroke, but we really don't know anything more about it than that right now.
They've told us he'll be here in the hospital for five to seven days for more
tests."

Gophers Trainer Bob Broxterman said Godbout felt ill at lunch and was slurring
his speech. He was examined by a Wisconsin doctor, who sent him to the
hospital. Broxterman said an examination revealed a small blood clot on the
left side of Godbout's brain, but denied the player had suffered a stroke.

Godbout, 18, was a regular on defense all season, but suffered a knee injury
against Colorado College in last week's WCHA Final Five semifinal. He was held
out of last Saturday's third place game against Denver, but was expected to
play in the NCAA tournament. His father said there was no confirmation of any
connection between last week's injurty and the blood clot.

Jason was a four year star at Hill-Murray High School and was considered one
of the top prospects in the state when he came to Minnesota last fall, joining
his brother, Brent, a sophomore on the team.
<end quoted material>

I hope that all the great folks here on Hockey-L will keep Jason in their
thoughts this weekend and if it's appropriate for you, say a prayer that Jason
will recover quickly and completely.

-Carol
GO Gophers!!!

Carol S. White                            BITNET: c-whit@uminn1
University of Minnesota        internet:[log in to unmask]
Office of the Registrar
(612) 625-8517                                    GO Gophers!!!