From:
Steven Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 1995 00:29:48 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, MR ADAM C WODON
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> As usual, I will agree with Geoff Howell on a number of things -- most of
> which, his assessment of the refereeing.  Taylor and Stewart did a very
> commendable job in an exhausting three-game series.  IT can't be easy to deal
> with three straight games with Brown.  Princeton is no angel here, but it's no
> secret that Brown makes cross-checking, clawing, hooking and hitting after the
> whistle an artform.  They hold a part of a ton of penalty minute records.
> Personally, I think it's a shame they think they have to do that to win,
> because I think they have some talented players, especially Mulhern.  But like
> Martins, he hurts his team when in the box.
>
>Wait one minute here Adam what in the hell are you talking about Brown's
cross-checking, clawing, hooking and hitting after the whistle was made an
artform.  Maybe you didn't see the game so let me fill you in on some
facts.  Princeton was a slower team, and they knew that coming into the
series with a faster more offensive Brown team.  So Princeton coach Don
Cahoon adopted a different style of hockey in order to shut Brown down.
It's called Clutch and Grab.  Just in case you don't know what that is
it's when the opposing team (Princeton) graps and holds sticks in order to
prevent shots.  If you want to talk about penalties Princeton's clutch and
grab style involved holding the stick, a penalty that the fine refs only
called once, but one that should have been called many, many times.
Princeton got away with it, with that "strategy" of clutch and grab they
could have shut down any team in the ECAC.  I think Brown coach Bob Gaudet
summed it up perfectly by saying,"The first half of the game (game 3) was
not hockey.  It was the furthest thing away from hockey it could be.  But
I give them credit for having a game plan to neutralize our team.  It's
unfortunate, with all the grabbing and holding, you can't get to a puck."
Well I guess the question is will Princeton play like men against Clarkson
or will they Clutch and Grab?

st