From:
S Asif Husain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Asif Husain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 1994 16:31:09 -0500
Well, what a weekend series it was.

I am a big Sioux fan, and unfortunately, I am out here in Pittsburgh
going to school, so I have to hear about the Sioux using alternative
sources.

I talked to my brother on Sunday, and he went to the game on Saturday.
According to him, the atmosphere at Engelstad Arena was amazing ... the
place was rocking.

Although the Sioux were a little dejected for having lost the lead and
settling for a tie on Friday, the came out very strong on Saturday,
scoring 14 seconds into the game.  They jumped to a 4-0 lead going into
the 3rd period, and it was unbelievable to think that the Sioux (picked
last in the WCHA preseason) were playing the THEN #1 Gophers so well for
two straight games.  Of course, eventually the Gophs showed why they are
so good, and just about tied it up again.  Apparantly, the few Goph fans
who were at the game were heckling Toby Kvalevog (Sioux goaltender)
after the Gophs had scored 3 straight goals.  During a MN timeout,
Kvalevog skated over towards these fans and pointed his stick at the
scoreboard, showing 4-3 in UND's favor.  After the game, as the Sioux
players were trying to mob him, Kvalevog skated over towards the Goph
fans and did the same thing!

It was a great weekend for Sioux hockey.  Hopefully they'll continue to
play at this same level for the rest of the season, and they will finish
respectively in the WCHA (mark my word - they won't be Last!).  As for
the Gophs, they are definetly the team to beat in the WCHA - they showed
it with their strong 3rd period play.  But, don't overlook the Sioux.
Dean Blais has done and will continue to make the Sioux into a great
team like they were throughout the 80's.  I see the Sioux finishing
respectfully this season.  But, next year and especially the year after
that, look out for the Sioux, they will be the team to beat in the WCHA!

Asif

Let's Go SIOUX!!

P.S.  As far as the "pelting" of players after the game, there is a
explanation for that.  For the longest time that I can remember, Sioux
fans litter the ice after each home game with cups, etc.  It is sort of
a tradition (even I think its kind of a dumb tradition).  I never took
part in the dumb activity, but its just a tradition at Sioux games.
Thus, the fans were in no way throwing stuff at the players (of either
team).