From:
Trevor D Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Trevor D Barnes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Oct 1994 23:31:36 -0400
     The official Michigan State University student hockey Fan Club, the
Slapshots, will be taking a road trip this weekend.  The trip begins on Friday
night as the Spartans take on up and coming Western Michigan in Kalamazoo,
about an hour and fifteen minutes from East Lansing.  Although the Spartans are
definately favored, Western has played very well against them as of late.
Western is currently undefeated and is 8-9-1 against State since 1980 even
though they usually don't finish nearly as high as MSU.
    MSU's coach Ron Mason commented on the series, "They are a very physical
team, if your power play works, you'll win.  I think it's about time we get
back at them."  As of Wed. evening, there is only standing room-only seats for
the game.
    After staying overnight on Friday in Kalamazoo, the Slapshots will
take the 2 1/2 hour drive to Chicago where MSU will play the Univerity of
Illinois-Chicago Flames on Saturday night.  MSU is just coming off of two games
with the Flames at home and won the first game 4-1 and the second game, 8-3. In
the 4-1 win, MSU gaolie Mike Buzak had 30 saves out of 31 shots and was named
CCHA defensive player of the week as he recorded his 50th collegiate win. Mason
commented, "It seems ridiculous to me to play all three games against a team
within two weeks.  I don't like the idea of going into Chicago against a team
that we've just beaten."
    This roadtrip should help determine if MSU deserves its #2 ranking from
hockey-l members.

Trevor Barnes
Slapshots member and third generation Spartan
Go Green!