From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 1994 00:31:40 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>,
Brian Morris <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>Tony, marooned in California asks:
>
>>Trying to get a bead on RPI possibilites based on the 10-3 blowout over
>>McGill this past weekend.  Anyone know anything about McGill's ranking in
>>Canda?  How they compare to UNB for example?  Is the rout based on good
>>play by RPI, or from playing a relatively weak opponent?  Anyone out there
>>have a clue?
>>Go Engineers!!
>
>While I don't know what McGill's ranking among Canadian colleges is, I would
>assume it's not in the top echelon.

I think McGill is in the middle of the pack in the OUAA, not sure though.

>There does seem to be a difference  between Buddy's team and Fridge's
>the attack, no plays or patterns to fall back on when the forwards were unable
>to penetrate the defensive curtain that was thrown at them.  Fridge's emphasis
>on defense first, and more chalkboard-style break-outs and scoring plays seems
>to give the Engineers more puck movement.  Of course I again emphasize this
>Engineer team must experience a team that forechecks, and it will on Friday
>night.  If ever a team know how to forecheck, it's BU--I keep seeing Mike
>Grier laying out one of the small RPI d's on the boards with the puck
>to the corner.  While I'm not predicting a victory, I do think the Engineers
>will give a good account of themselves.

Where I noticed the biggest difference with the "chalkboard" style was on
the power play.  It seemed that a lot of the passing and setups were more
signed than anything.  For example: Wayne Clarke's goal on thhe power play.
Healey wheels to the back, draws the 2 defensemen, and then he slips it
across the crease to a waiting Clarke.  Last year, all to often it seemed
that RPI gained the blue line, went to their positions, and passed, or
shot at the goalie.

>My optimism is based on what I have seen so far.  I don't see any real decline
>in the offense.  Bryan Richardson still plays center, and still scores better
>than anyone on the team.  At one point Saturday I was talking with my friend
>about the forwards, to which he inquired "what about Richardson"?  I responded
>that Richardson can turn it on whenever he wants, which was underlined 5
>later when he scored his first of two goals.  While he doesn't have the speed
>of Juneau, he has that gift for freeing himself for a shot around the net, and
>his shot is as deadly as they come.  Second line isn't much different than la
>year, with both Clarke and Hamelin scoring two goals apiece.  I also like
>freshman Doug Battaglia, who didn't get a lot of playing time Saturday--unlike
>the other freshman.

As an aside, Wayne Clarke's 4 points gave him 103 in his career, a significant
milestone for him.

Battaglia has skills, and he loves to drive the net from what I saw. He
has a soft stick movement, with easy dekeing. He will be a 100 point scorer
in his career at RPI.

>Ahh, the other freshman.  For the first time in awhile, the Engineers have
>depth on defense.  Bryan Tapper continues to be my personal favorite of the
>new recruits, scoring his first goal Saturday night, and not making any
>noticeable mistakes.  I also like Fridge's guts in putting the new D's in rig
>away, with regular defensive pairings.  Aldous was paired with Adam Bartel, a
>instantly became the number one defensive pairing, with Rochon being paired
>with Tapper as the number two.  Both groups played with a lot of confidence,
>but the acid test comes Friday.  It was also startling to see Chris Kiley out
>on a regular shift.  Kiley spent an awful lot of last year in Buddy Powers'
>doghouse, so I'd have to say the jury is out on whether he will catch on as
>the third defenseman off the bench.

As for the freshmen all playing. I have to believe that this was a test.
Get them ice time and then judge. I do not see 7 defensemen playing at all
all the time.  I have to believe that Chris Maye will be in the lineup
come Friday night.  And if Jeff Matthews does not heal, I expect to
see Ken Kwasniewski in the ga as well.

I liked what I saw of Tapper. He has confidence with the puck, and is not
shy in shooting and defending.  I was less impressed with Aldous.  Knowing that
he was nervous, I think this also brought it on.  Pat Brownlee had a good game
when he played.  unfortunately Chris Kiley made 2 defensive errors, which
should not be done, one leading to a McGill goal.

>Which again brings me to Dan Fridgen.  I hope he is successful in implementing
>his new control style with the Engineers.  It would be nice to see the forwar
>become more aggressive in their forechecking.  Hopefully his goal of stressing
>defensive responsibilities for the entire team will prevent some of the 2 on
>1's and 3 on 1's we saw Neil Little fighting through last year.  And in light
>of the inexperienced goaltending, it is essential that the rest of the team
>relieve some of the defensive burden from Tamburro and Massotta.
>
>Finally, a discussion of the goaltending is in order.  Tamburro looks fine.
>His positioning looked good, and he seemed taller than his 5' 7" frame.  But
>I wonder about him when he's got a couple of big forwards trying to screen him
>off the puck.  Massotta looks like an NHL goaltender.  He takes up a lot of th
>goalmouth, and stands up when the puck approaches.  But he didn't play very
>well Saturday, and I think he needs a little polishing.  The third McGill goal
>was a result of a Massotta mistake.  He simply failed to move to cover the sh
>when the McGill forward shifted the puck onto his forehand.  There were no
>other McGill players in the vacinity, as the RPI defensemen had taken care of
>everyone else.  Massotta also seemed a little uncomfortable, if not nervous,
>at his first experience in the RPI nets.  I don't expect to see him in the
>BU game, unless of course it's another blow-out.  But I think there is an
>excellent chance he will start against Merrimack, or more likely Army.  I thi
>his development will spell whether RPI can get to the NC$$'s again this year.
>I would be be happy to see a platoon system instituted, like Harvard's the
>last two seasons.  I believe it is difficult for a single goalie to get his
>play up for every game, and a Tamburro/Massotta platoon presents a challenge
>to opponents since their styles are basically opposites.

As for the goalies, I was impressed with Tamburro.  The air of confidence
surrounded him.  His reflex action was top notch, especially in a game
where he was not tested, except maybe twice.  I think Mike Tamburro is
your man.

As for Masotta, chalk it up to nerves.  He played a decent game, and you
could tell he was nervous.  He will have to learn 2 things though.
1) do not be nervous
2) you can not stray to far from your net to go get a loose puck in the
corner

I will agree with Brian that Tamburro is in goal against BU. But I think
the mopup man is Tim Spadafore for the BU game.  I think Masotta definitely
gets the start against Merrimack.  Then the Army game is another split
timer depending on how things are going during thegame. Tamburo for the
work so he doesn't go without a week of work, and then Masotta.

* Jayson Moy  RPI '89 '93  *  One of the Voices of Rensselaer Engineer      *
* [log in to unmask]             *  Hockey, Baseball, Football, and Basketball    *
* The "Asian Invasion"     *  on Crystal Clear 91.5FM  WRPI, Troy *EASM*    *