From:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Sackett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Oct 1994 11:42:00 C
>Considering that ESPN is probably losing money due to the fact that there is
>no
>NHL now, I'm wondering why they don't start to televise more college
>hockey.  I
>know that they are showing some games, but if they decided to make a full
>blown
>advertising campaign, not only would they make the money that they are losing
>out on with no NHL games, but the college hockey conferences would get great
>exposure and money.

It's doubtful that college hockey would be a "money-maker" for ESPN at this
point.  And, I'm sure that they wouldn't increase their coverage to give more
money to the college hockey conferences.  ESPN's motivation could be to try
to broaden the fan base of hockey (which cannot happen over the course of a
few weeks) for when the NHL does begin to play again.  Our hope needs to be
that enough interest is shown in college hockey to warrant ESPN carrying it
on a regular basis even after the NHL begins play.  ESPN needs to feel that
college hockey could eventually be profitable for them.  It's tough to show
that if they only show 2 or 3 games.  Hopefully, they will make a commitment
to show a lot more.  If they do begin to televise college hockey, I think we
need to send letters (or e-mails if anyone ever gets the address) showing our
support.

>Not to mention the fact that there would probably be
>many
>people out there that aren't too familiar with u hockey that would enjoy it.
>There are so many great rivalries that ESPN could hype.

This is an angle that ESPN could shoot for.  Showing the non-college hockey
fan that there are exciting rivalries in the sport.  A great opportunity is
coming up this weekend. . . .Minnesota vs. Wisconsin.

Chuck

Chuck Sackett                             Wisconsin Badger Hockey!
[log in to unmask]                NCAA Champs: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990!!!
Minneapolis, MN                                ON WISCONSIN!