From:
Paula Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paula Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Oct 1994 22:22:01 -0500
Tony Frolick posted a report of the UMD-UM Oct. 21st game, and said in part:

>Minnesota player Ryan Kraft apparently caught the puck, dropped it, and
>passed it to Checco who put it in for the Gophers' first win of the season.
>The goal was disallowed by referee Buzz Christensen, calling it a hand
pass, >but after discussion, the officials changed their collective mind and the
>crowd went nuts.  Of course a third of the crowd went nuts and started
>cheering and spelling Minnesota, while the rest went nuts and yelled
>polite comments at Mr. Christensen.  Some quotes from the coaches and
>players:

>"In 25 years of college hockey, I've never seen it." - UMD coach Mike
>Sertich.

>"I don't know if I've ever seen it." - UM coach Doug Woog.

I don't remember ever seeing something like this happen.  Usually you
cannot change a ref's mind. I would've liked to see the Gophers get another
goal, just so that the game hadn't ended on such a strange note.  I'm sure
Tony would've liked to have seen another goal from the Bulldogs!!

>On a side note, it was great to finally meet Paula, Erik, Pam, Carol and
>Carol's friend Kathy (Cathy?).  You see letters from these people all the
>time, and you can't help but wonder who's behind the screen on the other
>side.  I would like to apologize for our unruly fans, I know they get bad
>in the student sections, but I didn't think they got that bad down
>there.  I'd also like to apologize to them for not being able to go out
>afterwards.  My fiancee had to work the next morning and after one of
>those Gopher-Bulldog games, you're pretty well worn out.

It is lots of fun meeting other Hockey-Lers.  Because of Hockey-L I've
gotten to be friendly with fans of many different schools, and every year
we end up meeting more people.  It is really fun to be at a national
tournament and be able to talk to fans from the other schools.  Instead of
simply being a fan of one team and dealing only with fans of that team,
you end up being more of a college hockey fan, and having that in common
with other fans from all over.

And the Duluth fans weren't THAT rude! What do we expect, invading
their territory, anyway! Smile and wave, smile and wave.

Hockey games ARE hard work for the fan.  But it's good for the soul
to be able to jump up and shout, express frustration, get excited, etc.
We can't react that way during everyday life or we'd get carted away.
I guess hockey is good therapy.

Paula Biever
Ski-U-Mah!