From:
S Asif Husain <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
S Asif Husain <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 1994 12:05:11 -0400

In his message, Charles Baldwin asked:

>We could certainly imagine a number of potential Hobeys who went pro, but
>this may beg the question. How long was Ed Belfour at ND? (Some of this
>situation has to do with expectatations: a hard look at first round
draft >picks also reveals discrepancies.)

I can tell you that Belfour only played one year at North Dakota (1987),
the year they last one the NCAA Title.  That same year Tony Hrkac of the
Sioux won the Hobey.  That particular team kicked but.  I think they
went something like 40-8, with Belfour playing in net every game.
Belfour could easily have won the Hobey that year (although he wasn't
nominated), as well as Bob Joyce (who was nominated).  Anyhow, after
playing at ND for a year and winning the championship, Belfour decided
to sign with the Blackhawks and left the team.  Even though he only
played with the Sioux for one year, we still consider him one of us.
(His wife(?)/girlfriend is from Grand Forks, so he comes back to ND
almost every year).

Asif Husain