From:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Keith Instone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 1994 18:14:55 -0400
Reprinted without permission.

[Sentinel-Tribune, Bowling Green, Ohio, Thursday, June 16, 1994]

York takes Boston College post

By JACK CARLE
Sentinel-Tribune Sports Editor

NEWTON, Mass.-In a move which stunned many Bowling Green hockey fans, Jerry
York was named the head coach at Boston College Wednesday.

York had been behind BG's bench for the past 15 seasons, guiding the
Falcons to an NCAA championship in 1984.

''Boston College is really the only college situation I would have left
Bowling Green for,'' York said in a telephone interview Wednesday night. '
'The 15 years in Bowling Green has left an indelible mark on me.

"Boston College is my alma mater and there was a special attraction to come
back.''

York was an All-American in 1967 at Boston College.

At Boston College, York replaces Mike Milbury, who resigned after two
months on the job.

"We are thrilled to welcome Jerry York home to Boston College,'' said Chet
Gladchuk, BC's athletic director. "Not only do we have one of the finest
college hockey coaches in the nation, but we also have someone who
understands the educational mission that is the standard at Boston College
and who reinforces our commitment to the appropriate balance between
athletics and academics."

Milbury is a former Boston Bruin player, who was an assistant general
manager with the Bruins before taking the BC post. Milbury left the team
after he was unable to reach a contract agreement with Boston College. He
said money wasn't the problem, but that he had philosophical problems with
Gladchuk.

York said he was contacted by Gladchuk about the job last week and was
interviewed then. He was called back for another interview Monday night and
was offered the job Tuesday night.

''Things did move very quickly," York said. ''Chet Gladchuk wanted to get
it done."

York is the eighth winningest coach in NCAA history, compiling a 467-335-34
record in 22 seasons including a 342-248-31 mark a; Bowling Green.

"I'm very high on Jerry. I think Jerry's as fine a coach as there is to
work with,'' said BG athletic director Jack Gregory. "He's just an
outstanding individual and he's done a great job for us. Replacing him is
going to be hard. Not only his accomplishments, but his value to the whole
department.

''He handled the athletes in a real class manner and he handled the program
in a class manner. I think everything that we would expect out of a top
coach, Jerry exemplified. ' '

Gregory said when President Paul Olscamp returns to Bowling Green on
Monday, he will meet with him to outline the search process to find York's
replacement.

''I'll see if he wants me to do the hire or wait for the next AD,'' said
Gregory, who has resigned his position effective at the end of the month.

The most remembered season in York's career was the national championship
run during 1983-84 when the Falcons were 34-8-2.

The Falcons needed an overtime victory over Boston University to advance to
the Final Four in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Bowling Green defeated Michigan State 2-1 in the semifinals and then
claimed the title with a 5-4 victory over Minnesota-Duluth in four
overtimes.

"Without any question," winning the national championship was a highlight
of his BG coaching career, York said.

"The national championship is one of the highlights in the history of
athletics at Bowling Green," Gregory said. ''I don't think we'll ever
forget that. I think the success he's had speaks for itself.''

More recently, after three straight losing seasons, the Falcons rebounded
last season to finish 19-17-2 overall and sixth in the Central Collegiate
Hockey Association at 15 -13-22.

''He's got a solid program. We've had a couple years that we've struggled,
but he got them right back. We're on the way right now to some greater
success in the future," Gregory said.

"It's hard for me to express how thankful I am to the many loyal fans at
Bowling Green," York said. ''The school has treated me very well and I have
had support from two different athletic directors and a number of assistant
coaches.

"There has been a very solid foundation through the highs and lows . ' '

York said Boston College has had two straight losing seasons, but he was
looking forward to the challenge of bringing the Eagles back into national
prominence.

''The football and basketball teams have had some recent success and we
want to capitalize on that,'' he said. "We have a rebuilding task in front
of us.

' ' In the long run we have in place the same priorities that we had at
Bowling Green to bring the program back to the very top.''

------

The York File

Jerry York

Hometown: Watertown, Mass.

Present Residence: Bowling Green, Ohio

Education: Masters of Education and CAES in counseling psychology from
Boston College; undergraduate degree in business administration from Boston
College (1967); Boston College High School (1963).

Most recent experience: For the past 15 years, he has been the head coach
at Bowling Green, compiling a 342-248-31 record, the most wins by a BG head
coach. The Falcons won the national championship in 1984 and also won four
regular season Central Collegiate Hockey Association titles. His 15 years
are the longest tenure by a revenue coach in Bowling Green history and
there have been only three hockey coaches in 25 years of the sport at
Bowling Green.

Other professional experience: Head coach at Clarkson College for seven
years, compiling a 125-87-3 record. He was the Division I national coach of
the year in 1967. He was a graduate assistant at Boston College in 1968-69
and was an assistant coach at Clarkson for two years before starting his
head coaching career.

Family: wife, Bobbie, daughter, Laura and son, Brendan.

-----

(The Associated Press contributed to this story)