Sender:
From:
Matthew Glaccum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 1994 02:05:11 -0700
Hey sports fans...(having fun shoveling all that snow back east? :-) )

January 7, 1993 at Tucson Convention Center

Arizona     1  2  0 : 3
Penn State  0  5  2 : 7

From the "Arizona Daily Star"  January 8, 1993
by Robert Orman

ICECATS GET RUDE WELCOME BACK

    The Arizona IceCats played their first game in four weeks last night and
showed every minute of the layoff, losing to visiting Penn State 7-3 in front
of 6,728 fans at the Tucson Convention Center.
    It was the first loss of the season of the season for Arizona, which had
won its first 13 games.
    Penn State, ranked fourth in the latest club hockey polls, controlled play
throughout the opening period - outshooting Arizona 16-10 - but it was second
ranked Arizona that led 1-0 at intermission after Steve Hutchings converted a
power-play opportunity at 6:45.
    Penn State tied the game 2:19 into the second period only to see Arizona
Don Lamison scoring at 5:57, and again the IceCats had a response with Sam
Battaglia capping a 3-on-2 breakaway 18 seconds later to restore the one goal
lead.
    After that, the roof caved in on Arizona.  A pair of goals by Rich Martha
sandwiched another by Cliff Graziano, all in the last 7:15 of the period, to
give the Nittany Lions a 5-3 advantage after two periods.
    Hopes of an IceCat rally were shattered when John Farrall scored 6:24 into
the third, and Graziano scored again at 14:04.
    "I'm not pleased with the way we played, especially in the second period,"
Arizona coach Leo Golembiewski said. "We got outplayed in the second period
significantly."
    Penn State managed to put Arizona in an unfamiliar role by creating
extended pressure in the IceCat defensive zone, something the IceCats more
commonly do to their opponents.  Golembiewski admitted his team did not handle
the pressure well.
    "We did have problems clearing the zone, and much of that was due to our
lack of execution," Golembiewski said. "I thought we played real sloppy to say
the least."
    Penn State's depth, which concerned Golembiewski before the game, was also
a factor, he said.
    "They used four solid lines, we used three - of which only two were
effective," Golembiewski said. "You can't play Penn State with a cylinder or
two misfiring."
    Golembiewski remained upbeat about the loss, however.
    "Nobody expected us to be 13-1 right now, and we sure as hell weren't
going to be 31-0," Golembiewski said. "I think losses during the season can
be the greatest teachers."
    "Maybe we needed a kick in the butt."
    The teams play at the TCC again tonight at 7:30.
    ICECAT NOTES:  The home loss was the first for the IceCats since November
1992... The seven goals are the most Arizona has allowed this season, and the
three they scored was their lowest tally of the year.

COMMENTS:  This was a great game to watch up to when the Icers scored their
fourth and game-winning goal.  Then the IceCats just could not seem to keep
up with PSU's hustle; the defense was also key shutting the 'Cats down at the
blue line. There was some heavy, heavy checking; guys were almost knocked
out of their skates on both sides.  Dennis Hands did not have a great night in
goal but the lack of defense did not help.  Most of the crowd left after the
PSU's sixth goal; it had become painfully obvious that Arizona no longer had
any spirit left for the game.

January 8, 1993 at the Tucson Convention Center

Arizona    3  2  1  :  6
Penn State 0  2  1  :  3

COMMENTS:  I did not get to see this game or the next day's paper for an
article, but I did catch the radio call for the third period and post-game
show.  As seen by the scoring, Arizona came out strong and hard in the first;
but perhaps the biggest surprise was Coach G.'s decision to put senior Andy
Ashare in net for the game.  I haven't seen Ashare that much in action but I
would have thought that for this game Dennis Hands would still be favored.
Instead, Ashare winds up MVP of the game for the 'Cats.  I do not know exactly
how many shots the Icers got off but in the last 6 minutes of the game, Penn
State had either a man advantage or a two man advantage for most of those 6
minutes and did not score.  The crowd of 7121 was, I believe, 40 people short
 of the Arizona record for attendance.

I also listened to the announcer (both professionals in the booth) talk to
Coach G. after the game.  It seemed that not only had he decided to start
Ashare but he also juggled his lines; I guess it paid off.  He also talked
about the lack of recognition (respect) that the IceCats get back east.  A
big deal was made of playing the 1,2,3 teams from last year (NDSU, Penn-State,
Dearborn-Michigan) this season.  (Of course, we also play Arizona State seven
times this year :-)  )  Coach G., though, saved his choicest comments for the
local newspaper coverage.  He blasted the Arizona Daily Star for putting the
'Cats sweep of NDSU (#1 at the time) on page 38 of the sports section while
putting their loss to PSU on page one with a color picture.  I guess if you
want front page coverage, that coverage has to start somewhere, though.  He
is right, though, in the lack of coverage despite the fact that IceCat hockey
is the third most attended event here in Tucson (after DIV I football and
basketball).  A lot of people who show up for the games are not students,
either.

Matt Glaccum '92  RPI

Let's Go Red!