Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jan 1994 09:36:29 EST
Game one of hockey*4 weekend Friday night at Bright found the Crimson
coming out like a winter storm and blitzing the Saints.  St. Lawrence
never really got in the game, as all night they looked very slow.
An added treat was getting to meet and talk hockey with fellow
Hockey-Lers Sandy and Julien.

In the first period Harvard scored early on a power play goal.  Brian
Farrell (Derek Maguire, Chris Baird) tipped in a perfect shot/pass
from the point by Maguire.  The goal was made by the rapid puck move-
ment the Crimson had in its early power plays.  On the ensuing
face-off Steve Martins (Cory Gustafson, Maguire) exploded into the
Saints zone, went oh-la-la by the defense, deked the goalie and tuck-
ed his backhander high into the net.  Brilliant goal!  A short time
later, Ben Coughlin scored an unassisted short-handed goal off a St.
Lawrence defensive error.  Towards the end of the first period, after
we had all caught our breath, Bryan Lonsinger (Geb Marett, Joe
Craigen) knocked in the second rebound, after Marrett had worked it
in from the left boards, circled the net, and fired.

In the second period St. Lawrence tried to get back in the game when
Scott Stevens (Dan Skene, Ryan Cassidy) scored after a Harvard
defensive lapse just after a Saint power play.  (Yes it was Half-
night's error : but he's still fun to watch!)  The Crimson made it
5-1 on another power play goal when Tom Holmes (Coughlin, Lou Body)
finished off a lovely rush and pass by Coughlin.  Joe Craigen (Ian
Kennish, Bryan Lonsinger) made a nice break-out pass to Kennish who
skated in on goal, took a nice shoot and left a big rebound for
Craigen to put home.

In the final period the Crimson got another power play goal when
Gustafson (Body, Maguire) took a touch, backdoor pass from Body,
and drilled his slap shot through the 5-hole.  Kennish (Craigen,
Jason Karmanos) finished the scoring when he took the puck around
the net for the wrap-in.  St. Lawrence had again been at 6's and &
7's.

The Saints had a long hard game.  I admire Coach Marsh a great deal.
For reason I never understand, St. Lawrence rarely plays well at
Bright.  I feel they have the kind of team that could give the
Crimson major problems, but they seem to just not like the building.
I look for a much different match on March 5th.  The best player on
the ice for the Saints was senior defender Mike McCourt.  He plays
good hard D.  He has good hands and vision and tried to make several
telling passes.  Dan Skene showed some good speed on offense.  He led
a number of dangerous scoring chances.

Harvard had an explosive game by some individuals, but the team play
was somewhat lacking.  The good news was that when they went into
nap mode, someone had set the alarm, and they got up and scored
another goal.  A variety of power play units scored goals, but the
key was individual players sparking a play.  The overall method re-
main flat and motionless.  Still, the puck movement early on was so
good and fast, you didn't need a lot of motion.  The outstanding
player for the Crimson was Lou Body.  He played aggressive defense,
skated all over the ice and provided the solid backdrop you need so
other players can shine.  Nice game Body!  Steve Martins did several
brilliant things last night.  His goal and rushes were great.  But his
hustle to get back and break up a Saints' 3-1 in the third was total
team effort.  When he plays positive, Harvard is a very strong team.
Derek Maguire again played superb.  He uses his fellow players so
well.  He makes the big defensive play, and then hits the long pass.
Geb Marett, usually a defender, got a shot at center last night and
played very well.  It was good to see him get a chance and make the
most of it.  McCann and Holmes showed they can burn up the ice each
making numerous rushes.  Cory Gustafson continues his excellent play.
Last night he over-did-it a couple of times, but I love the way he is
just going with the puck.  Ashlin Halfnight just back from World
Junior duty looked marvelous.  His stylish skating just makes more
room for Harvard to do its thing.  He got on one of the power play
units last night, and was a commanding force.  He put patterns in
motion, and forced rotation by his moves and dishes.  What a wonder-
ful player to watch!  Tripp Tracy had a fair game in goal, though he
did not face many shots, and flopped too much for my taste.  Still
he was there when they needed him.  Finally, it looks like Coach
Tomassoni has discovered "What's my line?".  As I was writing out
line combinations last night, it just didn't quite.  I particularly
like the Holmes centering Gustafson and Nielsen line.  Can you see
Turbo-gopher?!??  The Martins centering Gustafson and Holmes line
also knew how to move.  I believe it is why the Crimson played with
such spark.  As I said, the overall team play was so-so, but the
players were clearing having fun.  In fact, the third period remind-
ed me of a pick-up game.  Its nice to see players enjoying the match!

At the Hockey-L conference between the periods we solved the power
play problems.  McCann would be put on the point or up the gut,
and thus avoid the endless waste of shooting wide.  Also Baird would
be replaced by Gustafson or Coughlin or Cohagan as an outside low
sniper to balance Martins role on the other side.  Of course I want
Halfnight, but I got out-voted.  I remember when I wanted Drury on
the power play when he was a first-year player ...

/
 good shooting
 rhun