Sender:
From:
Roger L Spurgeon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Nov 1993 12:58:35 +0000
From the Palace of Auburn Hills...

I was only able to attend the Michigan/Wisconsin game of the
showcase, but I did catch some of the Michigan/Minnesota game on TV
friday night.

Some comments regarding what's already been said:

1.  Michigan seemed to start on the right foot with the two power
play goals against Wisconsin -- but I have to agree that Wisconsin
played harder and wanted it more.  Shields was indeed fooled *badly*
in the third, but you can't expect him to be perfect.

2.  I *still* have a big problem with the Michigan offense --
especially the power play.  They DO NOT SHOOT the puck.  Little
passes here and there, but no where towards the goal.  Passes to the
point are nonexistant -- why do you put Wisemand and Oliver on the
point if you are not going to pass it to them?  A one-timer from the
point now-and-then would be nice.

3.  Mark Shegos and Piotrowski are two of the best CCHA referees.
Period.  The elder Shegos has "matured" into a quality official, and
I've always liked Piotrowski.  The only fault of these two Saturday
was inconsistancy (yeah--that's a big one).  The second period took
forever and it seemed like there was a penalty called every two
minutes.  The third was rather void of calls -- hence the scuffle at
the end -- they let things go too far.

SOME GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE WEEKEND:
1.  I really liked the fact that Yost Ice Arena's scorekeeper,
timekeeper, and rink announcer handled the same duties for the
Michigan/Wisconsin game at the Palace.  It was a nice home touch.

2.  Since Wisconsin's band could not make it for the games, the
Palace took pity and played "On Wisconsin" over the PA system at the
correct times.  Nice touch again.

3.  I really can't stand Prime Network's annnouncers, but I *love*
the mic's on the referees.  Watching the game with the mic on Shegos
is definitely an experience.  Shegos has a great rapport with the
players -- that's what makes him a decent official.

If you caught the Minn/Mich game on TV, you got to here some good
conversation.  During the game a few of the lights went off in the
arena and we got to here Shegos & Piotrowski discuss the matter with
the coaches and goalies.  Here's a bit of the conversation:

Shegos (to Steve Shields): "Can you still see okay?"
Shields: "Yeah, sure"
Shegos: "Well, okay, I'm only asking for your own safety...
         If you get hit in the beanie, don't come crying to me!"

roger :)

Roger L. Spurgeon                 [log in to unmask]   |_  \    /  _|
Michigan Engineering `94                                 | \ \  / / |
MICHIGAN HOCKEY    10-1-1! NO MORE CHEESE, OKAY???????  _| | \  / | |_
DETROIT RED WINGS  OSGOOD CONTINUES TO MAKE THE SAVES!  |__|  \/  |__|
DETROIT TIGERS     FOR LO, THE WINTER IS HERE.........     Go Blue!
"Why is it we can put men on the moon
 but we can't put metal in the microwave?"          -Dr. Frasier Crane