Sender:
From:
John Haeussler USA/Canada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1993 09:30:58 EDT
We've continued to trickle in names of goaltenders, so...

Here is a list of former NC$$ goaltenders that appeared in the NHL in
**1991-92**:

  David Littman (BC)
  Mike Liut (BGSU)
  Brian Hayard (Cornell)
  Guy Hebert (Hamilton College)
  Scott King (Maine)
  Matt DelGuidice (Maine,St Alselm College)
  Jim Hrivnak (Merrimack)
  Warren Sharples (Michigan)
  Norm Foster (MSU)
  Bob Essensa (MSU)
  Frank Pietrangelo (Minn)
  Chad Erickson (UMD)
  Ed Belfour (N Dakota)
  John Casey (N Dakota)
  Steve Weeks (NMU)
  Chris Terreri (Providence)
  Daren Puppa (RPI)
  Tom Draper (Vermont)
  Glen Healy (WMU)
  Curtish Joseph (Wisc)
  Mike Richter (Wisc)
  Mike O'Neill (Yale)

I don't have a complete list for 1992-93, but I know that Mike Bales
(OSU) and Darrin Madeley (LSSU) appeared in the NHL.  I also believe
that Jason Muzatti (MSU) did.

RE: Canadian Universities

As Mike pointed out, Michigan hosted the University of Alberta (1992
National Champions) this past January.  The series was scheduled as
a non-conference game, and an exhibition game.  Eventually, both games
were recorded as non-conference matches (I won't get into the ruling
behind this, but suffice it to say I -- and a few of the players --
thought that the second game was an exhibition AS it was being played!).

In the first game, Alberta seemed a little off and were surprised at
Michigan's physical play.  The Golden Bears seemed to be looking for
calls that never came, and Michigan won 7-1.  However, it didn't take
long for UA to adjust and game two was a struggle that ended in a
2-2 tie (after the standard 5 minute overtime).

Game two also saw an ugly incident in which UA defenseman Cory Cross
was hit in the face by David Roberts' stick while Roberts was following
through on a slap shot.  No big deal, right?  Wrong...UA wears a half-
shield.  Cross left a few teeth and plenty of blood on the surface at
Yost and did not return.  I never cared much for full shields until that
moment.

  John H
  U Mich