Sender:
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 12:45:26 EST
I thought that I would give MY opinion of the WCHA as an observer of the
league. This is intended to give just a little insight for people who
do not regularly follow the WCHA.

Listed in order of finish of the regular season.
1) Minnesota-Duluth: The biggest,fastest team I saw all year, but has
played poorly since clinching the MacNaughton Cup. The Bulldogs walked
away with a lot of hardware at the WCHA awards banquet including
Player of the Year(Derek Plante) and Coach of the Year(Mike Sertich).
This team cycles well and has a very effective power play.
Players to Watch: Hobey Baker finalist Derek Plante, Chris Marinucci,
Brett Hauer, Rusty Fitzgerald.

2)Wisconsin: The most talented group of individuals in the WCHA, the
problem is hockey is a team sport. The '92 NC$$ runner-up returned 20
lettermen and that experience should help at the Joe. The Badgers problems
are at home or when playing from behind, this leads to a selfish style of
play. This team is good with face offs and controls the puck well.
Players to Watch: WCHA rookie of the year Jim Carey, Barry Richter
Kelly Fairchild,Dan Plante,Andrew Shier, the much talked about Lativian
Ulvis Katlaps and if they beat Miami Jason Zent and Blaine Moore.

3)Minnesota: The most improved team in the west. Picked pre-season by
the coaches to win the league the Gophers early season was a disappointment.
Starting in February Minnesota started to play like the rest of the league
anticipated and moved to tie Wisconsin for second place. Their consistent
play continued throughout the playoffs and the Gophers brought home the
Broodmore Trophy. Minnesota is playing their best hockey of the season
right now.
Players to Watch: Travis Richards, Craig Johnson, Chris McAlpine,
Jim(?) Bonin.

5) Northern Michigan: The hardest hitting team in the league. After seeing
the Wildcats this year I am convinced that once the 'Cats move from Lakeview
Arena to a new rink it will be called the Comley Center. Head coach Rick
Comley took a team that was said to be in a rebuilding year to a second
place finish in the WCHA playoffs. Those of you expecting to see a high
powered offense that NMU won its '91 championship with will be disappointed.
Fans of a Broad Street Bullies type of hockey will love the Wildcats.
Northern's style of play is very advantages to playoff hockey and the
'Cats have been playing that way all year. NMU has successfully shadowed
great forwards all year and I expect that Drury will never be to far from
a green sweater.
Players to Watch: Joe Fredrick(has more SHG than most teams) Greg Hadden
Jason Hehr,Brent Riplinger, Mike Harding,Dan Ruoho

Scott