Sender:
From:
"C. Michael McCallum" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Jan 91 15:58:37 -0800
Bill Fenwick:

A war is not "business as usual", however (no matter
what George Bush does or says), and maybe there should be some small gesture
made at sporting events, like a moment of silence or a patch on the
uniforms.  Just a thought...

I do agree that games should probably go on as scheduled;  I have heard
some people compare these times to the Vietnam war and that no interrupt-
ion of sporting events was made then.  I have two comments on that line
of thinking:
1) With the new threats to the world vs. twenty years ago (ie terrorism)
   and the fact that we are attacking a nation that engages in and
   supports terrorism, thousands of people in one place make a tempting
   target.
2) Anti-war sentiment is much more evident and vocal now than in any
   comparable time vis a vis 'Nam.  "Business as usual" can be seen
   as implicit support for the war (remember that I am in Berkeley, CA
   and cannot help but be influenced somewhat by geography...).

Again, my gut feeling is to continue with sporting events, as a release
and to help keep our minds on other things sometimes (although perspective
is alwasy necessary).
Of course if we cancel sports events (Super Bowl??) as 1) above, there
will always be gatherings of people that can be attacked or exploited -
Where do we draw the line.
As for patches.  Hmmm.  The American flags that the NFL has been wearing
since October have always made me feel a little nervous.  I do believe
that we need to think of our friends in the Mideast catbox, but there is
always a thin line between patriotism and fascism.  I am afraid that that
sort of thing is seen as a symbol of American arrogance and 'imperialism'
by peoples around the world (allies and foes alike).
Thanks for listening...

[log in to unmask]       GO GREEN !
[log in to unmask]         GO WHITE !
[log in to unmask]                   GO STATE !

Katz's Law:
     People and nations will act rationally when all other
     possibilities are exhausted.