Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Dec 1992 15:19:36 EST
Jon writes:
>> "Recruiting deadlines should be illegal," stated Walsh.  "It isn't fair
>> to the kids."
>
>Let me get this straight.... Walsh expects a school like Lowell, for example,
> offer a kid a scholarship and then wait an extended period of time to see if
 he
> will sign with Maine instead.  What kind of deadline does he think is fair?
> What happens to Lowell if that kid does decide to go with Maine?  Is it fair
> Lowell if they lose months in their recruiting efforts on a kid who was really
> just looking for a better offer (note: I'm just using Lowell as an
 example....I
> don't know if they use this particular recruiting practice).  Is it fair to
 the
> next kid on Lowell's list who has to sit around waiting to see if a
 scholarship
> is available?

I noticed this when I read Wayne's posting of the article and thought the
same thing.  I understand the situation that Walsh and other coaches are
in, but I also know personally of some kids who were strung along by
coaches who told them things like, "We're planning to build our program
around you," and made to feel as if the coaches were really interested in
them.  Then the kid turns down early offers he receives because he believes
the coach really wants him, only to find out later that the coach decided
to take someone else instead at the last minute and the kid is left high
and dry.  These situations did not involve Maine, or Lowell or even
Merrimack (in case you were wondering), and I don't believe the coaches
there use these tactics, but the fact that it does happen means there has
to be some protection for the kids.  Unfortunately, there are some
unscrupulous people out there.

If a kid receives an offer, even if he is only given a couple of weeks or
so to decide, at least he knows the offer is there and that the coach wants
him.

There is also the case that some programs are competing more strongly than
others for certain kids because they know they cannot attract a Kariya
(for example) to their school.  I don't see a problem with a coach saying,
"You might end up getting an offer from Maine (again, for example), but you
also might be only a 3rd- or 4th-line player there.  We are very interested
in you and think you can play 1st- or 2nd-line for us, and here's our offer
to prove our interest.  But we also need time to go after our 2nd or 3rd
choice if you don't decide to come."  Again, assuming a coach is being
honest which I do think most are.

>I think it is perfectly reasonable to offer a kid a scholarship and say you
 have
> xx weeks to decide whether to accept it.  That's the way life works.  When I
> came to work for DG they weren't going to wait while I held out for a better
> offer from IBM.

Agreed...it is time to move into the real world.  Likewise, taking your
example, I could hold out for an offer from IBM, but if I don't get it,
DG could decide I've waited too long and moves on to someone else.

>I think Walsh wants it both ways....  He wants to sign top of the line pro
> and/or Olympic prospects and yet still cover himself in case they leave (note:
> even if they can't go to the Olympics there is no guarantee the players in
> question won't leave in the Spring of one of their undergraduate years to play
> professionally).  Fine...but don't expect everybody else to wait for him.

Well, this would clearly benefit the top-of-the-line programs and players
as they'd be left with their pick of who to get and where to go, which they
already have to some extent.  But how are the players who aren't as good,
or the programs who can't attract the very best players, going to compete?
As I said, if a program makes an offer and a kid receives an offer, at
least there is a level of commitment there.  This is assuming a reasonable
length of time is given to make a decision (i.e., not "by tomorrow").
---
Mike Machnik    [log in to unmask]   Color Voice of the Merrimack Warriors
(Any opinions expressed above are strictly those of the poster.)    *HMN*