Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jun 1992 14:31:32 EDT
Carol writes:
>The committee also voted 8-1 yesterday against a WCHA proposal to keep 20
>varsity scholarships instead of cutting to 18 in 1993 as mandated by the NC$$.
> It was rejected, apparently because it would work against cost-containment
>and
> gender-equity efforts. Any change would have to be made by the NC$$.

Just out of curiosity, what was the idea behind the WCHA proposal?  Had it
been approved, would the WCHA schools have gone ahead and stayed with 20
scholarships in 1993, thus violating the new NCAA rule?  The NCAA has been
known to come down pretty hard on schools which give out more scholarships
than their rules allow, and although the vote to cut hockey scholarships
from 20 to 18 may not have been a particularly fair one, the WCHA schools
would presumably get into a heap of trouble if they ignored the new limit.
Or was this just an attempt to get the NCAA to reconsider?
--
Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and probably '94