Sender:
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1992 08:42:38 EDT
David writes:

>     Is it fair for a reporter, after the season, to single out
>     players like that? I know (despite how they sometimes act) that
>     the players are not children, to be protected.  But coming as it
>     does now, it seems like a cheap shot.

Yes, it is a cheap shot.  IMHO, the reporter should have mentioned the
alleged incidents at the time they supposedly occurred.  It's a little
late to take a "well, I could see this coming" attitude.  Most college
hockey teams have a skeleton or two in the closet that seem to resurface
whenever there's an "incident".  Still, most of these skeletons have been
previously reported.  I know that in Ann Arbor, the protest capital of
the world, if a hockey player sneezes incorrectly the community is calling
for the team's head on a platter.

>The article also mentioned that the University hopes that their actions
>will be considered by the NCAA in determining the final penalty.

This is a bunch of b.s., and Wisconsin is certainly NOT the only school
guilty of it.  "We'll slap ourselves on the wrist to prove to Big Brother
that we really are sorry."  What's even worse is that the bozos from the
NC$$ sometimes actually buy it.

Eric Maiwald laid out a pretty solid solution.  To me, it's obvious that
Zito should be gone.  Permanently.  Moore, Balkovec and Zent (if they
were the ones involved) should lose at least one semester of eligibility
if not one year.  During their absence, their sholarships should go unused
by the University.  As for Sauer, how about the first 4 regular season
games of 1992-93 and the next NC$$ tournament game that Wisconsin is
involved in.

John Haeussler
Univ of Michigan
Badger Me Not (a stolen slogan from an unnamed source)