Sender:
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1992 17:26:24 EDT
O.K., I've responded to this message personally but since Tim has re-
posted it to the list, I'll respond here (and hopefully speak my peace).

>What are you going to do with teams that commit really serious violations?

What is a REALLY SERIOUS VIOLATION?  Obviously, referee assaulting is
just penny ante stuff.  I've repeatedly challenged people to give me an
example of a more serious offense THAT HAS ACTUALLY OCCURED IN COLLEGE
HOCKEY.  I admit that I'm ignorant of such events, but I'd like to know
what else has happened and what punishments (if any) were handed down.
Someone on the list must know of other incidents.

One of (if not THE) most important implications of the recent events is
that it will set future precedent.  Let's turn this into a discussion of
the future impact the NC$$'s ruling will have on the game.  Again, if
someone could point out past incidents and how they were dealt with that
would be great.

>By your standards, John, Michigan should have been given the death penalty
>two years ago when they got in that big fight with MSU!

Wrong.  Fighting among opposing players has and will always be a part of
the game.  Both teams were given a ton of suspensions which hurt them
dearly in their following game.  If you recall, both coaches were also
suspended -- because they ARE responsible for the on ice conduct of their
players.

>Weren't you the
>one that was complaining so vociferously because the Yost security people
>were "control crazy," ejecting people that threw their hat on the ice
>after a hat trick?

Yes, I was, and I stand by my position.  What's your point?

Oh, and for those who didn't realize this, I was only half-heartedly
serious about the death penalty.  It served my purpose to spark some
conversation.  Unfortunately, some of the conversation was meaningless.
I'm sorry that I set a couple of people off so badly.  75-90% of the
people that responded to my last post took it for what it was.

P.S. No matter what penalty they get, or what penalty I think they should
get, I still don't like Wisconsin.  It's part of the beauty of sports.
Most of the people flaming me off of the list probably hate Michigan.  GOOD.
It adds intensity to the game.  Sometimes your team wins.  Sometime my
team wins.  But, it's always fun.

John H
U Mich
Someone shoot Bucky the Badger, puh-lease.