Sender:
From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:39:04 -0500
For Immediate Release
Contact Dave Geringer, Sports Information Director, (508) 990-9651  [log in to unmask]
Saturday, January 20, 2007

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOLDS OFF SOUTHERN NEW HAMPSHIRE, 5-3

HOOKSETT, NH–The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth’s hockey team broke a 2-2 tie by scoring twice late in the second period and went on to defeat host Southern New Hampshire, 5-3, in an Eastern College Athletic Conference Northeast hockey game at the Ice Den Saturday evening.

Freshman forward Billy Carroll (Duxbury, MA/Bridgton Academy) scored at 16:38 of the second period to break a 2-2 tie. Senior forward Kyle McCullough (Danvers, MA/Boston Jr. Blackhawks) made it 4-2 with a power play goal just over two minutes later. Ethan Porter cut the Corsairs’ lead to 4-3 when he scored at 6:31 of the final period. UMass Dartmouth made it 5-3 when senior forward Jim Foley (Brockton, MA/Catholic Memorial HS) scored a power play goal with 44 seconds left in the game.

The Penmen scored first. Joshua Douglas gave SNHU a 1-0 lead with a power play goal 3:31 into the first period. Junior forward Paul Garabedian (Belmont, MA/Belmont HS) tied the score for the Corsairs 17 seconds later, and junior forward Jeff Grant (Burlington, MA/Austin Prep) made it 2-1 with a power play goal at 11:07 of the first period.

Thomas Ohlson scored Southern New Hampshire’s other goal at 3:25 of the second period.

Grant finished with a goal and two assists for the Corsairs, while senior defenseman Paul Carr (Springfield, MA/Springfield Cathedral HS) had three assists. McCullough and Garabedian each had a goal and an assist.

“We fought the puck almost all night long, but we did the things that we had to do to win,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “We got three power play goals from our first line and two even strength goals from our fourth line. Jim Foley made a great move, deking the goaltender and scoring our last goal in the third period. All things considered, a 5-3 win on the road is a good win. We just have to move on and keep the momentum going.”

The Corsairs out shot SNHU, 35-13. Sophomore goaltender Jeff Green (Medford, MA/Valley Jr. Warriors) made 10 saves, while Matt Courchesne of the Penmen made 30.

UMass Dartmouth improved to 15-1-1 and 7-0-0 in conference play with the victory, while Southern New Hampshire fell to 6-10-0 and 4-6-0 with the defeat. The Corsairs will return to action when they visit Suffolk in an ECAC Northeast match up Wednesday night.

UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY

UMass Dartmouth (15-1-1, 7-0-0) at Southern New Hampshire (6-10-0, 4-6-0)
 Date: Jan 20, 2007  Location: Hooksett, NH      Arena: Ice Den

Goals by Period       1  2  3  Tot
 UMass Dartmouth.....  2  2  1 -  5
 UMass Boston........  1  1  1 -  3

   1st period – 1, SNHU, Joshua Douglas (Ethan Porter, Brandon Hammermeister) 3:31 (PPG), 2, UMD, Paul Garabedian (Billy Carroll, Pat Welch) 3:48, 3, UMD, Jeff Grant (Kyle McCullough, Paul Carr 11:07 (PPG).

   2nd period - 4, SNHU, Thomas Ohlson (John Frey, Andrew Goduco) 3:25, 5, UMD, Billy Carroll (Pat Welch, Paul Carr) 16:38, 6, UMD, Kyle McCullough (Jeff Grant, Paul Carr) 19:40 (PPG).

   3rd period - 7, SNHU, Ethan Porter (Dominic DiMarzo) 6:31, 8, UMD, Jim Foley (Paul Garabedian, Jeff Grant) 19:16 (PPG).

   Shots on goal - UMDM 17-13-5 35; SNHU 4-4-5 13.

   Goalies - UMDM, Jeff Green (60:00 minutes, 13 shots-10
saves); SNHU, Matt Courchesne (60:00, 35-30.